Scholars Enrollment 2013
Scholars Enrollment 2013 is a specialized program for scholarship students that is tailored to your needs. The program includes specialized sessions for students and parents; assessment, if needed, in math and foreign language; academic advising; enrollment; and a catered lunch with other Scholars and their families. Students with the following awards are invited to join us for Scholars Enrollment 2013: National Merit Scholar, Regents Scholar, Award of Excellence, Distinguished Scholar, Valedictorian Scholar, University Scholar, and National Award.
Scholars Enrollment 2013 will take place in David L. Boren Hall on The University of Oklahoma campus. Advanced reservations are required. Please access the Scholars Enrollment Reservation System at http://iadvise.ou.edu/newsooner as soon as possible to reserve your spot at Scholars Enrollment 2013!
Advisement by Phone Option
If you are unable to attend Scholars Enrollment 2013 in person, you may schedule an appointment to be advised by phone. This option consists of a 30-minute telephone advising session between the student and an OU Scholars advisor. Our staff will handle your specific enrollment needs and mail your schedule and enrollment materials to you.
The cost for this service is $75 which is included in the $250 Enrollment Commitment. If you have not yet paid the Enrollment Commitment, then the $75 Enrollment Fee is due prior to the date of your phone appointment. Please make your check or money order payable to “The University of Oklahoma” and mail it to the OU Scholars Program, 1300 Asp Avenue, Norman, OK 73019-6061.
U.S. Citizens Abroad
If you are a U. S. citizen and you will be out of the country for the duration of May 15 through July 5, please contact Carol Carr, OU Scholars Program Assistant Director, at email@example.com for individual guidance in making enrollment arrangements.
Enrollment after July 5
Students who are unable to attend Scholars Enrollment or participate in the Advisement by Phone option by July 5 should contact the OU Scholars Program at (405) 325-2851 in the metropolitan calling area or (877) 536-3793 outside the metro to make alternate arrangements for advising and enrollment as soon as possible.
International students must check in with International Student Services to complete important SEVIS compliance tasks as required under U.S. immigration law. First year students will not be able to enroll until she/he arrives in the U.S. (no earlier than 30 days before the start of the semester for which they were admitted) and personally checks in with ISS as stated in the admission letter. Upon completion, the student may then seek advising and enrollment. Please contact Carol Carr, OU Scholars Program Assistant Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org for individual guidance in making enrollment arrangements once cleared by the OU office of International Student Services.
Apply to the Honors Curriculum
The Honors Curriculum provides academically talented students an enhanced course of study and the opportunity to obtain a degree with Honors distinction. If you are interested in the Honors Curriculum, please go to http://ou.edu/honors to determine if you qualify and to access the online application. You must be accepted into the Honors Curriculum prior to enrolling in an Honors designated course. We recommend these students schedule an enrollment date as early in the program as possible for best course selection.
Fine Arts Auditions
To major in art, dance, drama, music or musical theatre, you must audition and be accepted prior to your day of enrollment.
For audition information, please contact:
School of Art (405)325-2690 School of Dance (405)325-4051
School of Music (405)325-2081 School of Drama (405)325-4021
School of Musical Theatre (405)325-0538
Math Placement Tests
On the day of enrollment, you may need to take the COMPASS math placement test.
Please review the enclosed flyer regarding math placement at The University of Oklahoma.
Foreign Language Placement Tests
If you wish to enroll in a foreign language your first semester, you may need take a placement test on the day of enrollment. We also suggest that you take a placement test if your major is Music Education or is in the College of Arts and Sciences, Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication, or College of Education.
Credit by Advanced Standing
There are a number of examinations that you may take to earn college credit. Please visit the Center for Independent and Distance Learning (CIDL) web site at http://cidl.ou.edu/testing.cfm for a complete list of examinations accepted by OU. If you have taken any of these tests, please bring with you a list of all tests taken and any scores received.
There will not be time on the day of enrollment to take an advanced standing exam.
· Please make sure all AP and CLEP scores are sent to:
The Office of Admissions, 1000 Asp Avenue, Norman, OK 73019-6061.
· You may arrange to take CLEP tests on the OU Campus by calling CIDL at (405)325-1921 or toll-free at (800)942-5702.
· If you plan to enroll for Summer 2013 courses at OU and want to take the English CLEP test at OU, you should do so no later than April 10, 2013.
· If you will be enrolling for the Fall 2013 semester and want to take the English CLEP test at OU, you should do so no later than June 10, 2013.
· If you intend to take the English CLEP test at another institution, however, you should take it no later than June 1, 2013. OU only accepts the CLEP College Composition Modular exam for ENGL 1113 credit. You must have the essay portion of the exam (as well as the score report for the objective section) sent to The University of Oklahoma.
· Departmental Advanced Standing Exams are offered by OU and are free for Scholars. They provide the same type of credit as AP or CLEP exams; however, credit for these courses may not transfer to another undergraduate institution.
An OU transfer equivalency table is available at http://checksheets.ou.edu/tetables.htm. Please mail an official transcript from each collegiate institution previously attended to:
Office of Admissions, 1000 Asp Avenue, Norman, OK 73019-6061.
Academic Resources Prior to Enrollment
View Honors Course Lists and Descriptions http://ou.edu/honors
Learn About the Expository Writing Program http://ou.edu/expo
Consider OU Majors and Minors http://checksheets.ou.edu
Career and Major Exploration Opportunities http://uc.ou.edu/majors
Research Careers http://www.bls.gov/oco
The Day of Enrollment
David L. Boren Hall is located on the west side of Asp Avenue just south of Lindsey Street. Parking is available anywhere south of Lindsey Street other than the service vehicle area. We will provide you with a parking pass upon arrival. We advise parents and students to dress casually and to wear comfortable shoes.
Enrollment Fee, Lunch, Sooner One-Card
· There is an Enrollment Program Fee of $75 for all freshmen which is included in the $250 Enrollment Commitment. If you have not paid the Enrollment Commitment, then the $75 Enrollment Program Fee will be due at check in with either cash or a check made payable to “The University of Oklahoma.” Enrollment Commitment information is available at https://commit.ou.edu.
· All Scholars and their families attend a catered lunch during Scholars Enrollment. Two free lunches are provided per student. Additional lunches may be purchased for $5 per person. Dietary accommodations may be made by contacting Willie Hill at email@example.com one week in advance of your appointment!
· Your Sooner One-Card will be made and purchased at the end of your enrollment day. Please bring $15 cash or separate check to pay for your Sooner OneCard and either your driver’s license or another form of official photo identification.
· Optional OU Scholars t-shirts will be available for $10-$12 each.
We are happy to make appropriate arrangements for anyone with disabilities when notified in advance. Please contact Willie Hill at (405)325-2851 in the metropolitan calling area or (877)536-3793 outside the metro to discuss your specific needs.
Comprehensive Financial Aid information may be obtained by visiting the Financial Aid Services web site at http://financialaid.ou.edu. A financial aid representative will be available to meet with you at the end of your enrollment day.
Parents who attend Scholars Enrollment will tour housing accommodations but there will not be time for students to participate in a campus wide tour on the day of enrollment. You may schedule a campus tour for another day by contacting Prospective Student Services at (405)325-2151 or (800)234-6868.
Overnight accommodations are available in the Norman community. You may access a complete listing of hotels at http://visitnorman.com.
OZONE is your connection to everything OU!
Please check your OU email regularly at http://ozone.ou.edu. You will receive important information from The University of Oklahoma throughout the summer. OZONE will also provide you with academic resources, financial aid instructions, and extracurricular opportunities to help you prepare for college!
Please call our office at (405)325-2851 or (877)536-3793 for assistance!