Mold, Mildew & Moisture Prevention
Our Priority for You
The highest priority for the University of Oklahoma Housing Team is the health and comfort of our residents. Residents can play an important role in preventing environmental issues by maintaining recommended cleanliness standards for rooms and actively reporting suspected equipment failures or environmental issues.
What is Mold?
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, molds are fungi – natural substances – that are found indoors and outdoors and can only be controlled, not eliminated. There are an estimated 10,000+ kinds of mold. Molds grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions, and spread and reproduce by making spores. They produce allergens and irritants that may have immediate or delayed symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and/or rashes. People with asthma who are allergic to mold may experience asthma attacks if exposed to molds.
Let Us Know
If you suspect you have issues in your room such as mold/mildew, high humidity, AC failures, moisture, or other general maintenance needs— submit a work order. Housing Facilities Maintenance staff will respond as soon as possible.
What You Can Do
- Complete a maintenance request as soon as you notice mold, mildew or excessive moisture.
- Maintain at least 10 inches of clearance on all sides and top of the fan coil unit in your room for proper operation.
- Do not tamper with or cover thermostats with anything - this will prevent it from working properly.
- Keep spaces free of wet or damp items such as clothes, towels or overwatered plants.
- Clean your room and bathroom regularly. Small amounts of mold and mildew can be easily cleaned with household cleaners or disinfecting wipes, then dried completely.