• Dr. Megan Elwood Madden was awarded the Stubbeman-Drace Presidential Professor of Geology and Geophysics.
• OU's Barrell Team won the regional (Mid-continent section) competition. Students included Bryant Bradley, Dustin Dewett, Melia Da Silva Rodriguez, Guang Chen, and Michael Williams and advised by Dr. John Pigott
• A team composed of Ze'ev Reches, Jefferson Chang (Ph.D. candidate) and David Lockner (USGS) published an article in Science. The article, Chang, J.C., Lockner, D.A., and Reches, Z., 2012, Science, v. 338 no. 6103, Rapid acceleration leads to rapid weakening in earthquake-like laboratory experiments, presents findings from a series of experimental simulations of large earthquakes conducted on a dedicated rotary apparatus stationed in the Sarkeys Energy Center basement.
• Shelly Wernette, geology student, is the recipient of the 2012 MCEE Outstanding Senior Award.
• Robert Turner has received the honor of 2012 Distinguished Performance Staff Award. He was elected through a series of faculty recommendations highlighting his excellence in work and commitment to the department. This award is campus wide and he was one of the few selected to receive the honor.
Alsharef Albaghdady received the McNair’s Choice Award in Science A at the Student Research and Performance Day event at the National Weather Center on March 2, 2012.