|If you witness a crime, it is your civic duty to report the crime to the police.|
|When a crime is committed, you have the right and responsibility to make a "Citizen's Arrest".|
|Thus, if YOU commit a crime, it would be extremely helpful (and provide a savings of tax dollars) for you to perform a Citizen's Self-Arrest. |
Fill out the handy form, below,
to complete your Citizen's Self-Arrest:
Instructions: Fill out this form, answering all questions completely.
Read the following statement aloud:
"I am under arrest. I have a right to remain silent. Anything I say can and will be used against me in a court of law. I have the right to talk to a lawyer and have him/her present with me while I question myself. If I cannot afford to hire a lawyer, one will be appointed to represent me, if I wish one, before I question myself. If I decide to make a statement, I may stop at any time."
Memorize the following rules:
- Do not leave your house. If you are not home now, go home immediately.
- Put any firearms or other potential weapons out of reach.
- Remove your belt and shoelaces.
- If others are present in your house, send them away. You may, however, talk to yourself.
- You are not to allow yourself any visitors.
- Conjugal visits are not permitted.
- Consumption of alcohol or use of any other non-prescription drugs is not permitted.
- Do not try to escape from your home.
- If you do attempt an escape, use all reasonable force to stop yourself.
- Report any escape attempts promptly, by phone, to the local police.
- Do not disturb any evidence present in your home.
- Remain in your home until the police arrive.
To ensure your Citizen's Self-Arrest is received, mail a copy of this form to your local police department, in accordance with the following instructions:
Print out this form.
Using a stamp-pad or ink-soaked sponge/tissue, provide a preliminary set of fingerprints on the printed copy of the form:
If you have a recent passport-size photograph, enclose it with this form.
If you do not have a photo, but do possess some artistic skill, do a rough sketch of your appearance on a separate sheet of paper.
(Do NOT sketch yourself wearing dark glasses; do not add a beard or mustache if you do not
normally have one.)
If you do not have a printer, type or carefully draw a facsimile of this form on a blank piece of paper and fill in the appropriate information.
Submission of a neat and complete form will be pointed out favorably to the DA's office.
Sign and date the copy of this form you've printed and mail it to your local police department. If you do not know the address of your local department, send it to this address:
|Signature of Arrestor/Arrestee|
(required for mail-arrests only)
OU Police Department
2720 S. Monitor Avenue
Norman, OK 73019-5021
Attention: Arrest-by-Mail Program.
You are authorized to make one trip to a mailbox for this purpose.
If you live outside the OUPD jurisdiction we will fax it to your local police department.
since June 22, 1995
This page is a
Refer questions regarding the Citizen's Self-Arrest Program to the OUPD Webmaster
You might also like to visit this new presentation—