Information for Students Affected by the Fire at the Commons
Our hearts go out to those who were affected by the recent fire at The Commons.
The information below is intended to give a step-by-step instructions on how to proceed during this difficult time. Once any of these steps are completed, feel free to move to the next one. If there are any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at (405) 325-3161.
- Secure Housing Accommodations
- Contact: Donna Stevens, The Commons on Oak Tree Manager
- (405) 321-8877
- The Commons complex is placing displaced residents in temporary or alternate housing units on site today. They should be able to answer questions you have about accessing your personal belongings if it is safe to do so.
- Contact the Red Cross
- Contact: Disaster Desk
- (405) 228-9500 I 601 N.E. 6thStreet, OKC, OK 73104
- If a meeting with a Red Cross representative did not take place the morning after the fire, please call the OKC Red Cross office to schedule an appointment to meet with a case manager. Red Cross will share helpful information about emergency financial assistance and resources. Meetings will be held starting Monday at their OKC office location. Please call to schedule an appointment.
- Academic Assistance
- Contact: Student Affairs
- (405) 325-3161
- Student Affairs has already notified individual's colleges about the situation. We encourage those affected to directly contact each of their professors as soon as possible.
- Counseling Support
- Contact: OU Counseling Services
- (405) 325-2700
- Counseling services are available and may be beneficial as those affected process this experience. Please let them know you were affected by the fire, and they will work to accommodate you quickly.
- Financial Assistance
- Contact: Student Financial Center
- (405) 325-9000
- Walk-ins or phone calls are acceptd from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Students may speak with a representative who can provide information and help with emergency short-term funding. They will also direct the student to Sooners Helping Sooners (405-325-8103 I email@example.com) which provides mini-grants for students in emergency situations.
Other Helpful Resources:
- OU Couch Restaurants
The cafeteria will be open all weekend at no charge to the students affected by the fire. There is a list on file at the main entrance.
- OU Bookstore
If the student obtained textbooks from the OU Bookstore, they will work with the student on replacing books. Contact: Neil or Allison at (405) 325-3511.
If the student is now without their passport, contact the OU Passport Office and they will walk the student through the process. Contact: (405) 325-3030
- I-20 Forms
If there is a need to replace I-20 forms, please contact the office of International Student Services at (405) 325-3337.
Once again, Student Affairs is here to support our OU family through this experience. It is important to practice self-care, eat, rest and be with a support network.
Please contact us for any reason at (405) 325-3161 or visit us at the Union, room 265.
Kristen Partridge | Interim Vice President for Student Affairs and Interim Dean of Students | she/her/hers | firstname.lastname@example.org | 405.325.3161