1. The Syrian Studies Assocation (SSA) Newsletter appears twice a year, and contains articles, association news, research notes, and book reviews related to Syria. For further information about the newsletter and related publications, see the News page.
2. To stay informed about SSA announcements and events, 'like' the SSA's Facebook Site.
The SSA is:
an international association organized to encourage and promote research and scholarly understanding of Syria in all periods and in all academic disciplines. The SSA is a non-profit, non-political association affiliated with MESA (The Middle East Studies Association of North America).
Our goals are to:
- promote the highest standards of scholarship and instruction
- facilitate communication among our members
- encourage dialogue between Middle Eastern, Western and all scholars of the Middle East
To accomplish our goals, we
- award several prizes for the best written work on Syria
- publish a newsletter about the latest developments and writing in our field
- invite one or more Syrian scholars to MESA each year
- sponsor academic panels at scholarly conferences
- provide information about how to study Arabic in Syria
Who should join?
The SSA defines Syria as the area included in historic Bilad al-Sham until 1918 and Syria following that. We invite scholars who study the peoples and territories of what is today Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Palestine before 1918 and those who study Syria after that date to join the SSA.
You can view the SSA Constitution here.
- The Syria Report: The Syria Report is the leading source of economic and business information on Syria. Edited by Jihad Yazigi.