Global Header Staff Senate
 
 Contact Staff Senate Sponsor:

  Melissa Lane
  phone (405) 325-4672
  fax (405) 325-7864



Contact OU Norman Campus Staff Senate:

Name:*
Email:*
Your Classification:*
Staff 
Faculty 
Student 
Other 
Question or comment:
Membership Meetings Member Groups Committees Professional Development Merit Awards Official Actions Constitution
  

THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA

STAFF SENATE

(NORMAN CAMPUS)

Wednesday April 16, 2014

DRAFT

 

Chair John Bishop called the meeting to order at 1:35 p.m. in the Scholars Room of the Oklahoma Memorial Union.
 
Officers present –John Bishop, Chair; Chris Cook, Immediate Past Chair; Cecilia McEwen, Recording Secretary

Staff present – Melissa Lane, Administrative Coordinator

Representatives present – Hourly Employees Council: Carolyn Taylor, Karen Stark, Kim Haddad, Jake Wetherington, Julie Hamburger, Carmen Eppler, Vicki Michener; Informational Staff Association: Bruce Alcock, Debbie Copp, Elaine Bradshaw, Kendall George; Organizational Staff Council: Cathy Yeaman, Jackie Downing, Betty Love; Administrative Staff Council: Nick Key, SueAnna Miller

Representatives absent — Hourly Employees Council: David Houck, Eric Grubbs, Tim Winkelman, Suzie Brewer, Syndy Petross; Informational Staff Association: Debbie Gentis, Shane Smith; Organizational Staff Council: Justin Daniels, Debbie Reddell, Reta Tarver

Guests present — Danielle Steely, Cathy Trujillo, Lezlie Marsh, Vicky Holland and Matt Rom

SPEAKERS

Doug Myers, Parking and Transportation
Les Hoven and Angela Hawpe, Human Resources

ACCEPTANCE OF MINUTES OF February 19, 2014 and March 19, 2014

On motion by Betty Love, the minutes of the February 19, 2014 and March 19, 2014 Staff Senate meeting were accepted.

CHAIR’S COMMUNICATIONS

John met with Nick Hathaway, Vice President for Executive and Administrative Affairs.  Nick had just met with President Boren, prior to their meeting.  Nick stated that they are both optimistic about the next fiscal year, despite the budget cuts.  The University will do everything they can for our faculty, staff and student next year.  The University is still facing a 5% budget cut, based on the Governor's last round of purposed cuts.  The University is still optimistic that we may receive a slight smaller cut.  In either event, there are plans in place to try to mitigate the budget cuts and take care of our staff and students. They discussed Staff Senate Chairman Amanda Pai's resignation and how they hoped that she has great  success in her future endeavors.  She will be greatly missed.  Amanda was a very optimist person with a bright personality.  She always had a smile for everyone she met and was truly a pleasure to work with and be around.  Amanda was presented a plaque on behalf of the Staff Senate by Melissa Lane on her last day at OU, Wednesday, April 9, 2014.
  
REPORTS FROM MEMBER GROUPS

Administrative Staff Council:  Nick Key said they used their March meeting time to finalize planning for the Staff Week picnic. Their April meeting takes place April 28 @ 11:30 am in Evans Hall Room 321. They will focus on Big Data and Analytics from Dan Shuart, AVP Information Technology, and follow up on the Spring Picnic. 

Hourly Employees Council:  President David Houck reported that they discussed final plans for the upcoming HEC Representatives election. They continued their discussion concerning issues regarding nominations for Staff Merit Awards with no hard consensus or conclusion. They made final plans for the Ice Cream Social.

Informational Staff Association:  President Bruce Alcock reported that they moved the meeting to later in the afternoon and away from main campus in the hopes of getting more people at the meeting. They discussed Staff Week and the Art show that ISA will be hosting.  Margaret Smith, the coordinator handed out schedules with open slots for people to fill during the week, especially on Tuesday during the reception.
They also discussed the issue of retention and salary and how they could get data to support the theory that we are losing people due to the salary situation at OU.  Questions were raised about what data might be available and whether we need to go through Staff Senate or to HR directly.  HR has recommended that we funnel our questions through the Staff Initiatives committee.

Organizational Staff Council:  President Cathy Yeaman reported that they continued the discussion to review and possibly change some of the language on the Staff Merit Award Nomination form. They were joined by Leon Fourcade, Administrator of Fleet Services. Mr. Fourcade gave a presentation on the Fleet Services rental program and their recycling efforts.  He also mentioned that 3 of their mechanics have a combined 105 years of service.  Thank you to Rhonda Hill for arranging our lunch provided by Homeland, LaBaguette and Parking and Transportation to honor our Staff Award Nominees.  Certificates were presented to the Staff Merit Award Nominees by Justin Daniels who read a short bio on each nominee.
 
REPORTS OF STANDING COMMITTEES

Awards Committee:  By email Chair Liz Cooley reported that they met April 8th and 15th.  They have assembled all the anniversary and retiree certificates.  Programs are printed and the walk through was successful for the ceremony.  They are ready for the Awards Ceremony on April 22nd at 11:00AM.

Communications Committee:  By email Chair Gina Powell reported that the committee met by email. They completed a newsletter with the Staff Week co-chairs to announce events at Staff Week.

Staff Initiatives Committee:  By email Chair Dan Hough reported that they did not meet in April.  They are waiting for feedback on the proposed additional language in the personal vehicle use policy in the Staff Handbook.  HR is evaluating the proposal and are running it by their legal department.  They should have something back from them soon.

Staff Week Committee:  Co-Chair Paige Smith reported by email that they met and finalized the schedule of events. The health fair and the craft fair are both full. The flyer was to be sent Friday and will be in rotation by Wednesday. Shirt sales are about the same from last year, around 150.

REPORTS OF SPECIAL (AD HOC) COMMITTEES

Employee Benefits Committee:  Debbie Copp reported by that they have not met since the last Staff Senate meeting.

Ad Hoc Committee for Staff Merit Award Form:  Debbie Copp reported that the ad hoc committee has a bit of work done since the group was put together at the February meeting. At this point, they have two online options and they need to settle on one. They also need to have further discussion about ways to increase participation. As the new chair of this ad hoc committee, Debbie would encourage anyone who has ideas about increasing participation to send it/share it with her so she can share with the committee.

Health Insurance Working Committee:  Sue Anna Miller reported that the committee met 4/15/14 on the Norman Campus.  Segal, the University’s consultant, was there.  They presented a few “strawman” ideas on what types of plans the University might consider.  There was discussion from the committee members about the features they liked and didn’t like about the strawman plans that were presented, and Segal left with some ideas on how they might alter the plans for presentation at their next meeting.  They will also bring ideas on prescription drug coverage the next time they make a presentation to them.  They started talking about wellness initiatives (how to incent positive behaviors) and contribution strategies (how much employees pay for their own and for family coverage), but no decisions were made. 

OTHER REPORTS

The following reports were linked to the April agenda:

Staff Senate Foundation account report

Minutes of Employment Benefits Committee meeting for November 2013

Corrected Shared Leave Report for 2013

OLD BUSINESS

NEW BUSINESS

Staff Senate Chair-Elect for remaining current term and 2014-2015: John Bishop said the executive committee was recommending Debbie Copp for the position of Staff Senate Chair-Elect for the remaining current term and 2014-2015.  John Bishop called for nominations from the floor.  A voice vote was taken and passed unanimously with one abstention.  

Guns on Campus Resolution:  John Bishop read a resolution from the Faculty Senate, after some discussion a motion was made by Debbie Copp to create a resolution like the Faculty Senate’s.  A voice vote was taken and passed unanimously

ANNOUNCEMENTS

ADJOURNMENT

As there was no further business, the meeting adjourned at 2:22 p.m.

NEXT REGULAR MEETING:  May 21, 2014

Respectfully submitted,

Melissa Lane
Administrative Coordinator

Cecilia McEwen
Recording Secretary

Page Break Bar

The University of Oklahoma Staff Senate, Norman Campus, 905 Asp, Norman, OK 73019 (405) 325-4672  | 
Elegant page break

bottom left corner image
ACCESSIBILITY    |    TERMS OF USE    |   COPYRIGHT   |    PRIVACY POLICY 


bottom left right image