Guidelines for Staff Professional Development Program
The applicant must meet the following criteria:
Hold at least a 0.5 FTE, benefits-eligible appointment through the Norman campus;
Must have been employed with OU-Norman campus for two consecutive years as of date of application;
Must have formally requested the funds from home department and continue to lack adequate support;
Must have approval from supervisor to apply for this award.
The applicant will need to allow at least 30 days from the time the application is submitted to the time for registration or travel. The applicant must complete the application found at the bottom of this page and return two copies to the Staff Senate Office. Supporting documentation must be included with the application in quantities listed above. Supporting documentation consists of information about the conference, meeting, or seminar for which funds are requested, preferably something from the host company or agency. Additional information to be included is documentation referring to the formal request for support to attend the function, and its denial. All appropriate signatures must be included before the application will proceed through the system.
After receiving the application, the Staff Senate Office will verify eligibility by confirming all employment related qualifications. The Staff Senate Office will forward all qualifying applications to the Staff Professional Development Fund Committee (SPD Committee) for review. The SPD Committee will review the application and either approve or deny funds based on the compliance with criteria listed above, the requested amount, and the appropriateness of the function content. (NOTE: This committee will not attempt to dictate what might be appropriate training for any employee, but will deny funds for functions that are blatantly non-career based, i.e. Mardi Gras. Conferences taken solely for the purpose of the employee acting as a panel member will be denied.)
The Staff Senate Office will notify the applicant as soon as a decision has been made concerning their request. If approved, the applicant will receive an award letter and may proceed with program and/or travel arrangements.
- The applicant or home department will be responsible for filing a travel claim or initiating an expense transfer form for reimbursement. Claims must be submitted and processed within 6 months of the date of the event and associated travel or the claim will be voided.
- The applicant that is approved for an award is required to submit a short statement explaining how this event enhanced job performance or potential.
- After approved travel and/or program participation:
- Send completed travel voucher or expense transfer form to Staff Senate Office for account sponsor approval.
- Staff Senate Office completes form by inserting responsible account number and forwards form to Financial Support Services for payment.
One program/travel award may be awarded per staff member in a fiscal year. Priority will be given to first-time applicants. The University of Oklahoma’s fiscal year is from July 1 to June 30. If the applicant has received an award from the current fiscal year, but must submit an application to fulfill the 30-day allocation, please note on the application that the travel will take place in the next fiscal year. This will ensure the applicant is not denied based on a previous award.
Download the interactive application form (Word)
Professional Development Committee Members