- One personal Statement will suffice for all awards. Please ensure your personal statements relates to each award for which you are applying or you can submit a statement for each award you are applying for.
- Award Candidates must be a University of Oklahoma full time student enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours Fall 2019 semster and Spring 2020 semester.
- Students are encouraged to nominate faculty/staff for the outstanding faculty/staff award.
- The awards ceremony takes place in May, at the Donald W. Reynolds Performing Arts Center (560 Parrington Oval, Norman, OK).
- Application Deadline, TBA
- Contact Lachelle King, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions or concerns.
African American Student Life Awards Application
2019 African American Achievement Awards
African American Student Life Outstanding Student Award
This award is presented to a freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior who have provided consistent and extraordinary service to the African American community and have maintained a grade point average 2.75 or above.
George Henderson Outstanding Service Award
This award is presented to a full-time undergraduate student who has demonstrated exceptional service to the university and the African American community.
African American Student Life Outstanding Faculty/Staff Service Award
This award is presented to an African-American faculty/staff member who has made numerous contributions to the African-American student body and community.
Walter Mason Graduate Service Award
This award is presented to a graduate student who has exhibited exceptional academic performance (3.5 GPA or above) and has provided service to the African-American community.
Prentice Gautt Outstanding Athlete Award
This award is given to a student athlete who best exemplifies the high standards set by the university’s first African-American scholarship athlete. The student recognized for the award demonstrates excellence in academics, leadership, sportsmanship and athletic ability.
Ruth & Melvin Tolson, Sr. Award
The Ruth and Melvin Tolson, Sr. award acknowledges outstanding achievement in the field of journalism, literary arts, modern languages or communication.
African American Student Life Greek Community Service Award
This award is presented to a member of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) who has demonstrated an extraordinary level of service to the university’s NPHC and Greek community
Thomas and Carol Brice Carey Award
This award is presented to an African-American student who has excelled or made outstanding progress in the field of vocal music or fine arts.
African American Undergraduate Student of the Year Award
This award is given to a freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior student who has demonstrated exceptional academic ability (3.5 GPA or above) and had provided service to the university, fellow students, and African-American campus community.