First-Year Learning Communities help bring students together to develop a sense of community as they attend classes, study, and participate in various activities and events with their community. Students enrolled in a FYLC will take two or three courses together, including a Gateway to College Learning class that has a focus in the topic of the FYLC. Through these linked courses and linked experiences, students will be a part of a close community exploring the FYLC topic and their first-year together. Content from these linked interdisciplinary courses will be integrated throughout the FYLC creating a deeper understanding of the content that has resulted in proven success through higher course completion and GPAs.
Join a First-Year Learning Community at OU!
Pre-enroll in an FYLC by following the steps below:
- Review the First Year Learning Communities listed below. You can find FYLCs based on your intended major, interests, or courses.
- Rank your top two to three choices and send an e-mail to FYLC@ou.edu including:
· Your Sooner ID # (112- or 113-)
· Your major(s) or the major you are considering
· Your list of First-Year Learning Communities in the order you prefer
- Within a week, you will receive an e-mail from the FYLC advisor confirming your pre-enrollment in your First-Year Learning Community. You will be advised and enroll in your remaining courses during your scheduled visit to campus for New Sooner Orientation.