General Assessment Information: Entry-level computerized placement testing in math, writing skills, and reading is available on a walk-in basis during the regular semester, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm in Wagner Hall 270 (Summer hours are more restricted; see below). No appointment is required and tests are not timed. Examinees should allow at least one hour for each test. Placement tests can be taken twice per semester.
More Assessment Information: Upon entering University College, many students will be required to take placement tests (for most, we use a program called COMPASS), so we can assess the appropriate level of course they should be enrolled in. Typically, students are required to take these tests if their ACT/SAT subscores in a particular area do not qualify them for either a college-level course or the level of course they desire to get into. Please use the resources below to review the material before taking any of the placement tests at our Assessment Center (Wagner Hall 270).
Our normal, walk-in testing hours during the academic year (fall and spring) are 8:15 am to 3:30 pm, but during Summer Enrollment Programs (mid-May through July), walk-in testing is available from 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm., Monday through Friday. We are closed for University Holidays and for occasional maintenance/meetings (so please call to ensure we'll be open for your exam seating). If you are interested in remote placement testing, please see this Remote Testing Information sheet (requires PDF reader).
- COMPASS Testing Overview (pdf)
- COMPASS Math Placement Test (pdf)
- COMPASS Reading Placement Test (pdf)
- COMPASS English/Writing Test (pdf)
- Placement test sample questions can be viewed here.
- You may want to utilize our skills development resources in order to improve your skills in a specific area or to review concepts prior to testing. We are currently featuring MyMathTest, a math assessment preparation tool.