The University of Oklahoma Biological Station is a remote campus of the University of Oklahoma, and a unit of the Department of Biology. Our mission is to provide excellence in education, research, and service for students and faculty of both the University and broader community. We provide educational opportunities to students through collegiate courses, research involvement, and outreach activities. We have a seven-decade history of research in biology and the environment that has contributed to a better understanding of our planet. Service activities at UOBS foster learning through activities for K-12 students and teachers, scientific conferences, student and faculty informal education, and more.
The University of Oklahoma Biological Station was established in 1949 following donation of the property by Norman and Mildred Brillhart. Carl D. Riggs (pictured), a faculty member in the Department of Zoology, was the station’s first Director, and was instrumental in its early success and significant expansion from one building to the campus of today. Over its nearly seventy year history, the University of Oklahoma Biological Station has taught biology to thousands of college students; its researchers have published hundreds of scientific papers; and research leading to two hundred PhD and Master’s degrees have provided a new understanding of nature.
The University of Oklahoma Biological Station is located on the north shore of Lake Texoma, about a two-hour drive from the university’s main campus. Find us using your smartphone’s mapping app by entering “Oklahoma University Road, Kingston, OK” (exactly), and our entrance is at the end of that road.