Resources for Veteran Students
Max Hawkins, Veteran Services Tech
Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs
- There are resources for veterans after service is complete that a majority of families never tap in to. Information is available on Ebenefits and va.gov that many families are unaware of.
- Do you have questions or need some help? Use this link to Schedule a meeting with Max. If he can't answer your question or know where to refer you, he will research it, and provide you with an answer ASAP.
Max was born in Frederick, OK and served in the Marines during Vietnam. After coming home from war and enjoying a year in California playing "Beach Blanket Bingo", he returned home to Oklahoma and served on the Highway Patrol for 4 years. Finally, he served in OU staff for over 30 years before his retirement in 2010. His last position at OU was the Bursar, which is lead of operations for the entire Bursar Office. Max and his wife have two children and several beautiful grandchildren and great grandchildren.
At OU, we are honored to have him back on campus with his big heart again...but this time as a staff member from the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs!!! OU and ODVA are partnering together to provide Max as your resource on campus. His heart of service is now hard at work for YOU - OU's Military Family.
- Ten Tips for College Veterans (PDF) - These tips are courtesy of the National Association of Veterans' Programs Administrators (NAVPA). These are their ten best suggestions for returning veterans thinking about going to college as reported to US News and World Report.
- American Council on Education - ACE evaluates military training and experience gained while working in specific military occupational codes, then recommends the equivalent academic credit.
- eBenefits – A central location for veterans, service members and families to research, find, access, and soon manage their benefits and personal information.
- Military OneSource - Military OneSource supports every phase of military life including deployment, parenting, financial management, education, child care, spouse employment....
- Onlilne Colleges Database - Veterans Resources - higher education resources for veterans and their families
- OU Disability Resource Center - Disability Resource Center provides a variety of support services, many of which have been developed in response to expressed student needs. We know that the transition from active duty to a college classroom can be challenging. Please contact our staff to find out how the Disability Resource Center can assist you.
- OU McNair Scholars Program - Interested in earning a Ph.D.? Let McNair help you prepare!
- OU Financial Aid Services
- OU Money Coach
- Federal Student Aid for Members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- U.S. Servicemember’s Guide to Academic Programs and Aid
- Tuition Estimator
- OU Scholarships
Military Tuition Assistance
- University Counseling Center
- OU Student Conduct
- University College Action Tutoring
- Student Veterans Association
- OU Writing Center