January 31, 2020
The following message contains an important update to the University’s travel guidance and restrictions for the OU Norman campus as it relates to the evolving novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak that is centered in China.
To date, there are no confirmed cases in Oklahoma, and health officials stress that the risk of infection for the general public remains low. However, the situation continues to evolve.
On January 31, the President of the United States issued an Executive Order enacting temporary travel restrictions and quarantine procedures for individuals who have traveled to China in the past 14 days. On January 30, the U.S. Department of State issued a “Level 4: Do Not Travel” warning for China. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has classified China as “Level 3: Avoid Nonessential Travel.” In order to protect the health and safety of our campus and the community, and in accordance with the CDC and State Department guidance, the University is aligning its parameters for the Norman campus with the travel guidelines and restrictions previously issued for the Health Sciences Center and OU-Tulsa campuses. Please read on for more information.
OU Travel Guidance and Restrictions (All Campuses)
In alignment with OUHSC and OU-Tulsa campuses, the Norman campus has now determined to suspend all student, faculty, and staff travel for University business or academic purposes to China.
- OU students, faculty, and staff MAY NOT TRAVEL for University business or academic purposes, including but not limited to study abroad, research or grant activity, internships, to perform academic work for credit, service, conferences or presentations, teaching or training, performances, recruiting, or athletic competitions in China.
- Travel to China for personal reasons is strongly discouraged.
- Hosting incoming visitors from China for personal purposes is strongly discouraged. These visitors are subject to the Other Precautions in items 2 and 4 in the section below if they will be on campus.
- Hosting incoming visitors from China for University-related purposes (visiting lecturers, visiting scholars, researchers, etc.) requires prior approval of the college dean or appropriate vice president and the Provost’s Office prior to the visitor’s arrival; permitted visitors are subject to the Other Precautions in item 4 below.
Other University-wide Precautions
- Individuals committed to travel to China not otherwise suspended above are required to be in touch with their college dean or administrative vice president and the Provost’s Office prior to making plans.
- Anyone who is considering hosting visitors (including family) from China on University property is required to obtain approval from the college dean or appropriate vice president and Provost’s Office prior to the visitor’s arrival.
- Faculty, staff, and student travelers returning from China are required to contact OU Health Services at (405) 325-4611 or OUHSC Employee Health at (405) 271-2577 within 48 hours of their departure from China and prior to return to campus to arrange and complete a medical screening.
- Faculty, staff, students, and visitors who traveled to or from China during the month of January must contact OU Health Services or OUHSC Employee Health to arrange for a telephone medical screening immediately.
- OU will continue to follow the evolving epidemic of this Coronavirus and may modify these measures as further information becomes available. Faculty, staff, students, and visitors to the University arriving from China may be required to self-isolate for up to 21 days upon their arrival. These travelers should ensure they have sufficient time available for isolation, if this is required.
Faculty, staff, and students contemplating travel to China or hosting visitors from China must adhere to the items above.
Students, faculty, or staff with any questions or concerns, or who are possibly experiencing any symptoms, are encouraged to contact OU Health Services:
OU Health Services
Goddard Health Center
620 Elm Avenue
Norman, OK 73019-3146
Phone: (405) 325-4611
Updated information about 2019-nCoV and recommendations may be found at these sites:
We will continue to monitor the situation and will send updates as needed.
Goddard Health Center -
Student Health & Wellness Clinic -
Health Sciences Center