Photo Gallery: Zapotec Artwork
For more, listen to bilingual audio recordings of Zapotec poetry by Natalia Toledo, Irma Pineda, and Víctor Téran, read Clare Sullivan's essay "The State of Zapotec Poetry: Can Poetry Save an Endangered Culture?", or read about the Macondo Writers' Workshop in Mexico.
IAmerican young-adult novelist Virginia Euwer Wolff, winner of the 2011 NSK Neustadt Prize for Children's Literature, headlines the January 2012 issue of WLT.
Table of Contents
NSK Neustadt Prize Laureate
Virginia Euwer Wolff
- ACCEPTANCE SPEECH: [Excerpt] "A Case of Time-Release Insight: The 2011 NSK Prize Lecture," Virginia Euwer Wolff
- ESSAY:"The Courage to Be Compassionate: A Tribute to Virginia Euwer Wolff," Suzanne Fisher Staples
- READING LIST: "Children's Literature Favorites" by featured authors from the January issue of WLT
- "Poetic Journeys: A Conversation with Nathalie Handal," Kaitlin Bankston
- "A Brief Conversation with Laleh Khadivi"
- "Eva Stachniak," Ania Spyra
- "Post-3/11 Literature: Two Writers from Fukushima" Takeshi Kimoto
- "The Single, Shared Text? Translation and World Literature," Valerie Henitiuk
- "Burmese Poetry: Tectonic Shifts," James Byrne
- "The State of Zapotec Poetry: Can Poetry Save an Endangered Culture?," Clare Sullivan
- "Poetry Is Liberty: The Macondo Writers’ Workshop in Mexico," Wendy Call
- "In the Palace of the Dragon King," Hiromi Kawakami
- "Past-Bitterness-Recalling and Present-Sweetness-Realizing Meal," Qiu Xiaolong
- Four Poems, Nathalie Handal
- Seven Poems, Feliciano Sánchez Chan
- Zapotec Poetry: Bilingual recordings and an artists' gallery
- "Zodiac 9," Moikom Zeqo
- Six Burmese Poets
IN EVERY ISSUE
- LETTERS/EDITOR'S CHOICE
- WHAT TO READ NOW: Sri Lanka
- CITY PROFILE: Hargeisa, Somalia
- INTERNATIONAL CRIME & MYSTERY: "He Do the Police in Different Voices: The Rise of the Police Procedural"
by J. Madison Davis
- OUTPOST: Kesennuma, Japan