Skip Navigation

OU-Tulsa Students

Skip Side Navigation

OU-Tulsa Student Accommodations


Students must initiate their request for reasonable accommodation through Student Affairs. Accommodations are provided on an individual basis dependent on the need for services and documentation of disability as stated in the below information. Students will meet with a team member for a registration appointment and to jointly identify appropriate accommodations. Students should update their request for accommodation at least each semester, or as needed.

Accessible Electronic Textbooks (E-Text)

E-Text requests will be accepted for students registered with the ADRC who are approved for Accessible Electronic Textbooks (E-Text).

You must fill out the E-Text Request form for each textbook you are requesting and a Textbook Proof of Purchase/Rental form each semester. Be sure to include all the requested information on the forms, or it may take longer to process your requests. 

Fill out the E-Text Request form

Fill out the Textbook Proof of Purchase/Rental Form

Accommodation Requests for Outside Entities

In order for the Accessibility and Disability Resource Center to release information regarding services and/or documentation on file, the student must sign and submit the Consent for Release form specific to the ADRC. Requests are processed in the order in which they are received, with most documents being sent within 5-15 university business days of when we received the signed Consent for Release form. Please allow sufficient time between contacting our office and the deadline for submission, as requests received fewer than 15 university business days out are not guaranteed to be completed prior to the submission deadline. 

Standardized Assessments
If a student requires accommodation on a standardized assessment such as the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, etc., it is the student's responsibility to contact the testing board to obtain information about their accommodation procedures. There is typically a request form that is required by these entities and many have recency requirements for documentation.

Another Institution
If a student requires accommodation for courses at a different institution, it is the student's responsibility to contact the disability services office at the other institution to obtain information about their accommodation procedures. Often, a Letter of Accommodation from our office and/or the student's documentation will meet the new institution's needs.


The Student Affairs office will provide advocacy to students in the areas of consultation, counseling and conflict resolution. In addition, Student Affairs will provide information and referrals to community resources as well as student organizations and activities. The Student Affairs staff will assist students in interpersonal skills development and leadership opportunities. Although the Student Affairs staff advocates for student needs, it is equally important that students learn to advocate for themselves. Students need to understand their strengths, learn to identify areas for improvement, know their rights and responsibilities,and know where to go for assistance. Early in the semester, students should schedule a meeting with their instructors, be prepared to discuss their needs and to refer the instructor to the Student Affairs if they need additional information to assist them.

Alternative Testing

Test-proctoring services are available between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students can schedule appointments for alternative testing by scheduling an appointment through the Student Affairs Office, Room 1C53 of the Schusterman Center. Appointments should be confirmed two days prior to the test.  Students are responsible for notifying the instructor and making arrangements for delivery and return of the tests. Tests can be delivered to the Student Affairs office by the instructor, campus mail, fax, e-mail, or by the student and returned in the same manner.

Tests are normally administered during the same time the rest of the class is taking the test unless there are extenuating circumstances. Any rescheduling must be approved by the instructor and the Student Affairs staff. If a change in a test format is required as a reasonable accommodation, the Student Affairs staff will work with the student and instructor to discuss appropriate formats. Alternative testing is provided to allow a student to accurately demonstrate his/her knowledge and achievement as opposed to measuring the impact of the disability. Students are expected to uphold the academic integrity of the University. Any incidents of alleged academic misconduct discovered by the staff will be reported for action under the Academic Misconduct Code for the Norman or Oklahoma City campuses.

Architectural Accessibility

This includes assistance in removing architectural barriers on campus or relocating classes to accessible facilities.

Email Usage

The staff of the Student Affairs office has found that the use of e-mail has increased the speed and effectiveness of the way in which they communicate information of interest and address the concerns of students. Students are encouraged to routinely check their e-mail to obtain information on scholarship opportunities, activities, workforce recruitment, and other items of interest to the disability community.

Student e-mail accounts on the OU system are automatically set up; however, new users must activate the account by going to 


Student Affairs is equipped with computers with speech recognition software. In addition, upon request, specific furnishing can be placed in the classrooms for those students who cannot use the existing equipment.

Faculty Notification

For Health Sciences Programs: 
The Student Affairs office will notify the designated person(s) for your program of specific accommodations via e-mail to their OU e-mail accounts at the student’s request. To submit a request for instructor notification, students should complete the online OU-Tulsa Student Accommodation Request Form. This process must be completed each semester in order to receive accommodations.

For Non-Health Sciences Programs: 
The Student Affairs office will notify the designated person(s) for your program of specific accommodations via e-mail to their OU e-mail accounts at the student’s request. To submit a request for instructor notification, students should complete the online OU-Tulsa Non-HSC Student Accommodation Request Form. This process must be completed each semester in order to receive accommodations.

Students are encouraged to be self-advocates and are expected to identify themselves to their instructors and discuss the specific accommodations authorized by Student Affairs. Download this template to help you introduce yourself to your instructors via email.

Interpreter and Real Time Captioning Services

The Student Affairs office will coordinate interpreter and real time captioning services on campus. We strive to provide the highest quality accommodations by hiring qualified interpreters and captionists. Students are encouraged to pre-enroll to ensure availability of interpreters and real time captionist. It is important to provide schedule information to Student Affairs as soon as possible and to communicate with Student Affairs staff about class schedules at pre-enrollment.

Library Assistance

Appointments can be scheduled with the Student Affairs staff for research assistance in the library as required.

Note-Taking Services

In most situations, students are approved the use of audio recording when note taking assistance is needed. Students who are approved for audio recording of lectures are responsible to use their own personal device to record class content and understand that any recorded information is for personal use only and will be deleted when no longer needed. 

In the event a student requires the use of a live note taker, a volunteer peer note taker will be utilized. With the student's permission, the faculty member is contacted to assist in identifying a volunteer peer note taker from the class. Students should expect a one- to two-week period to pass before note taker accommodations are completely implemented. It is the student's responsibility to coordinate with the note taker to retrieve the notes.

Students are expected to take their own notes in class and to use the notes from the note taker as a supplement to ensure that they are getting complete and accurate information. Note takers are not a substitute for class attendance, and notes will not be provided for class sessions where the student is not in attendance.

Reader Services

When appropriate, reader services may be provided as an accommodation through the use of a live reader for exams taken at the alternative testing location within Student Affairs or the use of text-to-speech technology.