Skip Navigation

University College

Skip Side Navigation

University College

Admission Requirements

University College advises all students who have earned fewer than 24 semester hours, pre-health majors*, and students with fewer than 45 credit hours who are working to improve their academic preparation to enable them to enter a degree-granting college.

*Communication sciences and disorders, dental hygiene, nursing, nutritional sciences, occupational therapy, pharmacy, physical therapy, and the radiologic technologies

Students with pre-health codes in other health areas should refer to the Pre-Professional Advising website.

Note: Beginning the 11th week of the semester, a change in major will be reflected on a student's transcript for the following semester. Colleges may wait until the end of the semester to review a student's final grades before approving/processing a major change.


Advising office: 100 Lissa and Cy Wagner Hall
Phone: (405) 325-3521     Advising website
Q. Who is my advisor?
A. Students are not assigned a specific academic advisor while in University College. However, students may request a specific advisor when scheduling an appointment.

Q. When should I be advised?
A. Students are required to be advised prior to each enrollment period.

  • Advising for the summer and fall semesters begins in February; advising for the spring semester begins in September.
  • Reminders for scheduling appointments and other important information will be sent to students' OU email accounts via our monthly newsletter, UC Newsflash.
  • University College students use the iAdvise appointment system to schedule advising appointments.


University College automatically transfers a student's records to a degree-granting college once the student has achieved the following:

  • Declared a major
  • Successfully completed 24 semester hours
  • Met the minimum GPA requirement of the degree-granting college where the major is housed
    • Exception: some health majors (as noted above) will remain in University College until accepted into an OU Health Sciences Center program or other professional health program
    • Students who have earned 45 credit hours or more and do not have the GPA or other requirements for their chosen major will have their records sent to the Academic Advising Resource Center