Active Shooter or Armed Intruder
Use a continuous assessment process to decide upon appropriate survival action. Trust your intuition and go with your “gut” feeling.
A. Run (Escape): If it is possible to flee safely and avoid danger, do so.
- Have an escape route & plan in mind & move quickly to the nearest exit. Don't wait for others to validate your decision.
- Leave belongings behind.
- Listen continually for sounds of a threat and move away from it.
- Be alert for instructions from authorities as you exit.
- Keep your hands visible to responding police officers.
- Call 9-1-1 and inform the authorities as soon as safely possible.
B. Hide (Barricade): If flight is impossible, hide.
- Move to an area that can be locked or barricaded.
- Turn off lights and all noise-producing devices.
- Lock & barricade doors.
- Remain out of any line of sight from the doorway and do not stay directly in front of the door.
- If located with others quickly formulate a plan to attack the shooter if they gain entry to your space.
- Do not huddle together for mutual support, as it makes one easy target. Spread out and look for items that could be used as improvised weapons.
- Call 911 only if you can do so without giving away your location to the shooter.
- Stay in place without giving away your location until contacted by authorities.
- Once contacted by police, do exactly as you are told.
THE FOLLOWING ARE SUGGESTED GUIDELINES.
C. Fight (Overwhelm): If the armed subject comes into your class or office and begins firing, there is no one procedure the authorities can recommend in this situation.
- Assume the shooter can succeed in wounding or killing everyone unless stopped.
- Throw things such as fire extinguisher or chair to distract the shooter as you attack.
- When multiple persons are trapped in a space attack as a group from all directions.
- Use group body weight to pin the shooter and any weapons.
- Once you have the advantage do not relinquish it until officers are on the scene and direct you to do so.
- Once contacted by police do exactly as you are told.
Information You Should Provide When You Call The Police (9-1-1)
- Clarify you are on the University of Oklahoma Campus
- Location of the assailant(s)
- Number of assailants, if more than one
- Physical description of the assailant(s)
- Number and type of weapons held by the assailant(s)
- Number of potential victims at the location
The Strategy behind 'Run, Hide Fight' in Active Shooter Situations: https://youtu.be/5VcSwejU2D0