Bomb Threat - Suspicious Package
IF YOU FIND OR OPEN A SUSPICIOUS PACKAGE, LETTER, BOX, OR CONTAINER:
- Do not handle the package. Move away and call OU Police Department at 911.
- If you have opened a suspicious package or letter, leave the package or envelope in place and move away slowly. Leave the room slowly; notifying others to leave the room also, closing doors behind you as you go.
- Do not operate any power switches.
- Do not activate the fire alarm.
- Move to a safe area (like the Blue Emergency Phones) and call the OU Police Department.
- Do not allow re-entry into the area/location where the package is located.
- Follow the instructions you will receive from OU Police or other recognized authorities.
IF A BOMB THREAT IS RECEIVED OVER THE TELEPHONE, TAKE THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS:
- Stay calm. Try to pay close attention to all details. They may be important.
- Take notes. Attempt to get the following information from the caller:
*This is the order these should be listed.
Where is the bomb placed? Where are you calling from?
What time is the bomb set to explode? What is your organization?
What type of bomb is it? Why are you doing this?
What does it look like? Who else have you told?
Who are you?
- Have a co-worker or another person contact the OU Police Department at 911, using another phone.
- Write information down as the caller says it and have the co-worker relay information to OU Police.
- Try to keep the caller on the phone. Listen for any background noises, voice inflection or accents, and/or anything that would help determine the origin of the call.
- Evacuate the building only upon the instruction from properly identified emergency personnel or as deemed appropriate in individual situations.
Bomb Threat Checklist can be found by clicking Here
Click Here for more resources on Bomb Threats.
IF YOU ARE TOLD TO EVACUATE:
- Be aware of your surroundings as you evacuate. Avoid and do not touch suspicious or unfamiliar items.
- Take personal belongings when you leave if it will not delay your departure. You might not be allowed back in for an extended period.
- Leave doors and windows open.
- Do not turn on or off lights.
- Only use the stairs; DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- Move well away from the building to your departmental Emergency Assembly Area and wait for further instructions from OU Police or other recognized authorities. See GENERAL BUILDING EVACUATION in this brochure for your departmental Emergency Assembly Area.