ADVANCE PLANNING IS ESSENTIAL!
- Be familiar with at least TWO fire exits in your area in case one is blocked or unusable.
- Know the locations of the Blue Emergency Phones in your area.
UPON DISCOVERY OF A FIRE:
- Call 911 to reach the OU Police Department.
- Activate the fire alarm and give verbal alarm to others. Fire alarm pulls are generally located near the exits.
- If it is safe to do so and does not impede your evacuation, quickly gather your personal belongings and proceed to your nearest exit.
- In multi-level buildings, exit using the stairways only. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- If it is safe to do so on your way out, close all doors leading to the main hallways to prevent further spread of the fire. NEVER prop stairwell doors open as this will allow smoke and heat to enter the stairwell.
- Once outside, move to your Emergency Assembly Area.
- Keep roadways and walkways clear for emergency vehicles. Remain upwind from smoke and fumes.
- Wait for further instructions from OU Police or emergency personnel. DO NOT RE-ENTER THE BUILDING UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO by OU Police or properly identified emergency personnel.
If your clothes are on fire, stop, drop to the floor and roll covering your face with your hands. Smother the fire with a blanket, rug or heavy coat. Call for help. If you encounter heavy smoke stay low to the floor.