Utility Failure - Gas Leak - Persons Stranded in Elevator
- Notify Facilities Management at the proper number(s) listed above. Telephones are answered 24 hours a day.
- After midnight, if phones are not working properly, deliver a message to the OU Police Department at 2775 Monitor Avenue.
- If evacuation of the building is required, exit using the stairways. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS. Seek out persons who need assistance in the evacuation.
- When mechanical ventilation is interrupted, vapors of chemicals may reach hazardous concentration levels. Laboratory personnel should secure experiments or activities that may present danger with the electrical power off or when it is restored unexpectedly. Close sashes on fume hoods and clean up or put away chemicals. Notify the lab supervisor immediately. Do not perform procedures using hazardous materials until power is restored. For specific emergencies after hours, contact Facilities Management at 405-325-3060.
FLOODING OR STEAM LINE FAILURE:
- If flooding occurs because of plumbing failure or other problem, stop using all electrical devices.
- Notify Facilities Management of the problem at 405-325-3060 and the specific location.
- As necessary, evacuate the area or building. See the GENERAL BUILDING EVACUATION section of this document.
- In the event of a failure of a steam line, evacuate the area by taking exits that avoid the steam leak. Report the problem to Facilities Management at 405-325-3060.
- Cease all operations immediately and evacuate the area as soon as possible, notifying others as you leave.
- Do not switch lights on or off. Do not take time to open windows or close doors.
- Leave the area to report the gas leak. Call OU Police at 911 by using a cellular phone or one of the Blue Emergency Phones after evacuating.
- DO NOT re-enter the building until cleared to do so by OU Police or other proper authorities.
PEOPLE TRAPPED IN AN ELEVATOR:
- If you are trapped, use the emergency phone in the elevator or push the alarm button and wait for help. Alternatively, call OU Police at 405-325-1717 if a mobile phone is available in the elevator.
- If you discover trapped persons, talk to them and try to keep them calm until an officer or other help arrives.