How to Recruit Our Students
In addition to building your company brand on campus, there are many ways you can recruit OU students. From an easy-to-use online job board to on-campus interviewing opportunities, you can meet bright students looking for internships or full-time employment in the future.
We utilize the Handshake recruiting platform to connect you with our students. If you haven't already done so, you can create your Handshake account by clicking here. Please contact our office at 405-325-1974 if you have any questions or issues regarding registration.
Spring 2021 COVID-19 Statement:
- In Handshake, Navigate to “Jobs” Section.
- Click “Create Job” Button.
- Fill in form step-by-step. Be as detailed as possible.
- On the last step of this process, select “The University of Oklahoma” in schools.
- Click green “Create Job” buttons.
- From jobs section, you may view old job listings, make copies of jobs, and renew listings that have expired.
Please Note: Our job board is reserved for posting full-time, permanent positions that require a bachelor's degree, and our substantive internships that supplement the educational experience of OU students. Career Services does not post or promote part-time or volunteer positions. If you would like to post opportunities such as these, please visit the OU Job Location Program website where you can sign up for a free employer account.
INTERNSHIP & FULL-TIME OFFER GUIDELINES
The following guidelines were created by Career Services to establish equitable time- frames for students and employers in the recruiting process at OU. It is in the mutual best interest of our students and employers to allow adequate timeframes for students to make information-based and experience-based employment decisions. Doing so requires the opportunity for students to explore a full range of employers before making a commitment. Our hope is that these guidelines will enhance the recruiting experience for both students and employers, as well as minimize circumstances of reneged offers.
Please note: These guidelines do not prohibit employers from extending early offers. They are also not intended to discourage students who have clarity about their options and are ready to make a decision from accepting an offer early-on in the recruiting process. OU Career Services subscribes to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Principles for Professional Practice for all recruiting practices, and encourages all employers to familiarize themselves with the NACE advisory opinion on setting reasonable deadlines for job offers found here.
Adherence to the following guidelines is requested of all employers recruiting OU students in order to promote a fair and ethical recruiting process.
Offers Extended from the Fall Recruiting Process(September 22 – November 1):
Fall recruiting officially begins with the Sooner Showcase Virtual Career Fair on Tuesday, September 22nd, and the first day for preselect interviewing is Monday, September 28th. For internship and full-time offers extended as a result of the Fall 2020 interview season, offers should remain open until the third Friday in October (which is the end of the third week of the interview season). This timeline will enable students to fully participate in the recruiting process before being required to make a decision.
Offers Extended to Current Summer Interns: Employers are encouraged to give students until the third Friday of October to make a decision. Additional time may be requested by the student and granted at the discretion of the employer.
Offers Extended Outside of the Fall On-Campus Interviewing Period: Employers are encouraged to give students a minimum of two weeks to accept an offer in this instance.
When all employers follow equitable recruiting timeframes and refrain from exerting undue pressure on students to accept offers, the risk of student reneges is minimized and the quality of hiring is maximized. When advising our students, OU Career Services emphasizes professional and ethical behavior when considering offers of employment and strongly discourages the practice of reneging. However, undue pressure and violation of the above timeframes significantly increase the likelihood of student reneges despite efforts made by our office.
A NOTE ABOUT EXPLODING OFFERS:
Students should not be pressured to accept offers and/or any special diminishing incentives (i.e. tiered or expiring bonuses, reduced options for internship placement or location preference, etc.) sooner than the aforementioned time frames. Doing so is a violation of the NACE Principles for Professional Practice, and could result in the suspension of access to the on-campus interviewing program at OU.
If you have questions, please contact:
Associate Director/Employer Relations Coordinator (OU Career Services)
Third Party Recruitment Guidelines
In providing services for third-party recruiters, Career Services policy requires that:
- Third-party recruiters will abide by the Principles for Third-Party Recruiters as described in the NACE Principles for Professional Practice.
- Third-party companies may only list internal positions within their own company, or positions for clients when the name of the client is explicitly presented in the listing.
- Third-party recruiters must present detailed information about their operations and services in their company profile on Handshake for student review. This profile should make it clear that the company is a staffing agency that recruits for external employers.
- All placement opportunities listed by third-party recruiters must be free to students. Any fees associated must be paid by the hiring employer.
- Third-party recruiters will not have access to student resume downloads for recruitment positions on Handshake. All student contact information for these positions must be sourced by student applications specifically for the position in question. If Career Services receives student feedback that they have been contacted about a position for the client of a staffing agency that they did not apply for directly, it may result in a loss of recruiting privileges at OU.
- If a third-party recruiter or staffing agency wishes to recruit candidates for positions internal to their organization, they may do so with the understanding that resumes and applications provided are to be used solely for hiring for that specific internal position.
- Third-party recruiters operate in congruence with the university policy of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, handicap, or national origin. An employer or agency using the services of Career Services understands that compliance with all related federal and state statutes and regulations is required for initiation or continuance of Career Services.
Third Party Recruiter Services:
Career Services will promote the job and pertinent information through normal channels which may include the Handshake job board, referral to faculty and/or staff, and/or direct referral to candidates. The third-party recruiters will be listed as the contact and identified as an employment agency. Note: It is the policy of Career Services not to promote jobs or internships teaching overseas.
If a third party-recruiter wishes to interview candidates on campus, or attend career fairs, that recruiter will agree to abide by the above policies and to identify the represented employer(s) to both Career Services and potential university interviewees. Third-party recruiters who elect to interview on campus should understand that the candidate information provided by Career Services is to be used exclusively for the employer(s) so identified.
On your employer dashboard, click ‘Request an Interview’. The navigation pane at the bottom of the screen will guide you through the steps of scheduling your interview (Basics/Timeline/Jobs/Review).
- Select ‘University of Oklahoma’ from the drop-down menu at the top of the ‘Basics’ screen.
- Enter the name of the company contact that you would like to associate with the schedule.
- Complete the additional optional fields, including the ‘Only allow students to apply to one job attached to this interview schedule’ button. This is helpful if you are attaching multiple jobs to one schedule. When finished, click ‘Timeline’ or ‘Next’ on the bottom navigation pane.
- On the ‘Timeline’ screen, select your date. Availability is listed by date at the top of the screen. A pop-up box will appear where you can enter the number of rooms you’d like to request.
- Under ‘Choose Your Preferred Timeline’, select a timeline that corresponds to the date you requested (M/T/W/Th/F).
- Under ‘Select Your Interview Slot Template’, choose the option that reflects the duration of your interviews (30/45/60 minutes). Please note the number of interviews associated with each option. When finished, click ‘Jobs’ or ‘Next’ on the bottom navigation pane.
- Choose one of the three options for attaching a job to your schedule, or click ‘Remind Me Later’ if you would like to attach a job at a later time. When finished, click ‘Review’ or ‘Next’ on the bottom navigation pane.
- On this screen, you may review your schedule request. If you completed each section correctly, you will see a green check-mark next to each listing. *NOTE: Handshake will tell you if you filled anything out incorrectly. If you do not attach a job (but selected ‘Remind Me Later’ on the Jobs screen, you will see a brown exclamation point. You can still submit your request without attaching a job.
- Click ‘Request’ on the bottom navigation pane to submit your schedule. Our staff will review your request and reach out to you if any corrections are required. Please call our office if you have any questions or need guidance with this process!
- In Handshake, Navigate to “Fairs” Section.
- In the search box, type “University of Oklahoma.” You may hit the “+” button next to “Saved Searches” to save this search for the future.
- The resulting list will display all upcoming OU Career Fairs. Select the fair you wish to attend.
- You will be taken to a page with the event description. Click the blue “Register” button.
- Complete the registration form. Be as detailed as possible.
- Click the blue “Create Registration” button at the bottom of the form.
- Once your registration is approved, you will receive a confirmation email containing your invoice.
Parking can be a challenge on campus, but we have identified multiple options for your convenience. When coming to Career Services for On-Campus Interviews, you may park in the attached Union Parking Center as our guest. Please bring your parking ticket in with you so we can validate it. If the garage is closed for a special event on the day of your visit, we will provide a visitor pass for you, as well as directions to additional parking areas.