Why would I want one?
What is an internship?
- Part-time work assignment related to your major, career of interest, or both.
- Perform 10 to 20 work hours per week in addition to your current semester's course load.
- Student is selected by an organization to carry out the duties and tasks of an actual position within the organization to gain hands-on experience.
- Paid and unpaid opportunities.
- Students will approach internships and search for one in the same way they would a job. There will be a resume to create, interviews to prepare for, and professional etiquette to consider.
What is a Co-op?
- Opportunity to work in positions related to your major field of study.
- Three versions are available:
- Alternating: Alternate periods of work with periods of study, usually taken in the fall or spring terms.
- Parallel: Work and attend college simultaneously on a part-time basis, usually taken in the summer term.
- Summer: Work only during two or more summer periods.
When should you start looking?
- NOW! When an interest in a career field develops, find ways to experience that profession.
- Positions exist for all students from freshmen to seniors.
- Certain industries have an annual recruiting season, which means employers begin to seek out interns 6 to 9 months before the position begins. Engineering and Accounting are good examples of such industries.
When should I complete one?
- Several factors to consider including your major, the industry, the organization, stage you are in of degree completion, and your course load for the term.
- Academic credit can be obtained in the fall, spring and/or summer terms.
- The summer is an ideal time since students are usually taking a break from classes.
- Co-ops are most often completed during a fall or spring semester.
- Remember, it is never too late!
How do I get started?
- See the Resources portion of the website for information on finding an internship or co-op.
- See the Earning Academic Credit portion of the website for information on internship/co-op courses.
- Make an appointment with the Internship/Co-op Coordinator in Career Services by calling 405.325.1974.