Access the Archive
The Julian P. Kanter Political Commercial Archive's online catalog can be accessed here and some selections can be viewed on YouTube. If you have any further questions, please direct all search inquiries to the Curator, Lisa Henry. Lisa is available via email or phone at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and (405) 325-3114.
Archive On-Site Viewing Policy
Please contact the Curator, Lisa Henry, for more information on access to the collection and COVID-19 policies.
Availability of materials:
- Archive materials may be access during the Archive's normal operating hours of 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., except on official holidays and other university-designated closing periods.
- Access to the materials is subject to availability of equipment and prior scheduling of facilities.
- The Archive adheres to any donor restrictions placed on access to specific materials.
- Access is only available to processed copies of the materials. Materials not available in original format.
- For projects involving more than 100 of the Archive's ads, please consult with the Curator no less than 10 days prior to an on-site visit. Any special terms will be provided in writing to the researcher.
Using the materials:
- Upon arriving at the Archive, patrons must complete and sign an agreement before materials may be accessed.
- Cell phones and laptop computers are only allowed in the viewing area with staff approval. All other devices with recording capacity are strictly prohibited.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the viewing area.
- Usage of exiting copies of the materials are provided free of charge.
- A staff mmeber will be available to provide information about playback equipment.
- Please be aware that Archive staff monitor the viewing area via webcam.
- While the University own the materials in its collection, it does not own copyright to any of the materials. It is the responsibility of the user to acquire any necessary copyright authorizations for use of the materials such as may be required.
Any patron found willfully damaging materials, altering their arrangement, duplicating them, attempting to remove them from the Archive premises, and/or recording, transferring or copying them to other media or the Internet will have their viewing session immediately terminated and lose all future user privileges.
Off-Site Research Use Policy
When an on-site visit is impossible or impractical, the archive may agree to provide special compilations of commercials to be used off-site.
- Patron is provided a watermarked copy.
- The archive owns no copyrights to these materials and permission for any use other than individual viewing must be obtained from the copyright owner.
- Materials from candidates engaged in an active campaign are not loaned.
- Educational use is verified for reduced off-site rental fees.
- Pre-payment is required.
- The archive reserves the right to refuse requests.
- Please allow 10 working days for request.
- Broadcast and commercial users may request a screening reel.
It is needed to help Archive staff determine if and how your request may be fulfilled, to determine any fees that may be charged, and to aid in preparation of necessary forms if your request is approved. We do not share this information. Please submit the following:
- Contact information: Name, a complete residential or business address, email address, telephone number, and fax number if available.
- Organizational affiliation: any organization you are affiliated with in regards to this research request (educational institution, corporate entity, media company, political group, or if you are an independent professional researcher) and your title. Students should indicate whether they are at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Description of the candidates and/or ads you are interested in. Please be as specific as possible. You can create a list of ads that includes titles and ID numbers from our online catalogue.
- Description of your project. Please describe your research and/or project. Include details on how the Archive’s materials will be used.
The Archive cannot provide permanent copies of the ads from our collection, as we do not own copyright to any of the materials; instead, like a library, we provide loan copies.
- Upon approval of a research request, Borrowers are required to sign a formal loan agreement, which stipulates among other things that the Archive’s materials will not be duplicated, posted online, further loaned, or used/distributed in other unauthorized ways. Archive staff will provide the specifics of this agreement if an off-site research request is approved.
- Loan duration is 30 days.
- The individual whose name is on the loan agreement must be one who is legally authorized to enter into such contracts on behalf of themselves and/or any other entities listed in the contract.
The only ads not available for approved off-site research purposes are as follows:
- Ads that are restricted by the original donors.
- New ads that have not yet been processed to preservation copies.
- Ads from political candidates engaged in an active campaign at the time of the request (other than a candidate’s own material, to the candidate him/herself).
- Archive materials may not be used in any capacity to disparage or embarrass candidates or producers of the commercials it preserves.
The Julian P. Kanter Political Commercial Archive holds no copyright or any other rights to the materials in its collection, and can confer no permissions for use to the Borrower. It is the Borrower’s responsibility to secure permissions for use from the copyright holder.
For the purposes of our Archive, an academic institution is an educational institution that grants degrees and issues diplomas or other certification. For your request to be considered an “academic” request, you must be able to demonstrate affiliation as a student (please specify graduate or undergraduate), faculty or staff member at such an institution.
It is the policy of the Archive to provide routine on-campus usage at no charge to University of Oklahoma students, faculty and staff who wish to use the materials for classroom or research use. Professors must verify student classroom presentations and/or research assignments. Such use is generally free of charge but is subject to the general terms and conditions of the Archive’s academic research use agreement.
The fees the Archive charges are rental fees only; as the Archive holds no rights to the materials in its collections, payment of fees confers no rights or licensing to the Borrower. All fees go to maintain the collection and its associated equipment. Fees for off-site research use are as follows:
- Academic research: $100 per group of 1-20 commercials
- Non-Academic research: $300 per group of 1-20 commercials
Payment is accepted via check, money order, or credit card. Processing on an order will begin once payment has cleared. Credit cards accepted include Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
Please contact Archive staff via telephone to provide card information (name on card, billing address, credit card number, and expiration date) – please do NOT provide this information via email, as we cannot guarantee its security. Credit card information is not retained by the Archive; it is destroyed via cross-cut shredding once a transaction has been successfully processed.
Processing on an order will not begin until loan agreement forms have been completed and payment has cleared. Once processing begins, Archive staff will attempt to complete orders within 10 working days. The minimum turnaround time for an order is 48 hours (rush charges may apply) but this is dependent on the number of ads requested, and does not include duration of shipping.
Off-Site Publication Information
Requests for commercial use will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and fees will be determined by the location of the image on or in the product, the size of the reproduction, and whether the market for the product is local, national, or international.
- Availability of material may be affected by donor restrictions.
- Ads from actively campaigning political candidates are not loaned during the Campaign with the exception of to the candidate.
- Archive material may not be used to disparage or embarrass candidates or producers.
- Research material is visibly watermarked. Material from the archive may not be emailed, posted to the Internet or otherwise distributed online.
- Material will be provided via online file link.
If an off-site research compilation is being requested as a screening copy for production or publication purposes, once material from the screening reel is selected for use the borrower must complete a separate publication use agreement (including a separate publication use fee).
The Archive holds no copyright or any other rights to the material in its collection therefore can confer no permissions for use to the Borrower. It is the responsibility of the Borrower to secure permissions for use from the copyright holder.
- The Archive, like a library, does not provide permanent copies of material but provides loan copies that must be returned in 30 days.
- The Borrower is responsible for return shipping costs.
- Borrowers are required to sign a loan agreement stipulating loan material will not be duplicated other than specified by the contract, posted online, further loaned or used/distributed in ways outside the terms of the loan agreement.
- The individual signing the loan agreement must be legally authorized to enter into such contracts on behalf of themselves and/or the entity named in the contract.
- The loan fees must be paid in full before processing will begin.
- Upon completion of the loan agreement and handling of fees, normal processing time is 10 working days.
- Rush orders are possible depending on the size of the order but may result in additional charges.
Loan fees to the archive are for the temporary loan of the material and are used to maintain the collection and equipment. Fees below are for "clean copies" for production.
- Ads up to 30 seconds long -‐ $300 per ad
- Ads from 31 seconds – 15 minutes -‐ $600 per ad
- Ads longer than 15 minutes -‐ $750 per ad
The Archive accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, checks or money orders DO NOT send credit card information by email, contact staff by phone.