Skip Navigation


Skip Side Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to questions you might have about our classes and procedures: 

  • ENGL 1013: English for Exchange Students
  • ENGL 1023: English Exchange Students II
  • ENGL 1111: Principles of English Composition Stretch
  • ENGL 1113: Principles of English Composition
  • ENGL 1213: Principles of English Composition II
  • ENGL 1913: Writing for the Health Professions
  • ENGL 3153: Technical Writing
  • ENGL 1111: Placement determined by accuplacer. Speak with an advisor if you have questions
  • ENGL 1113: No prerequisite.
  • ENGL 1213: ENGL 1113.
  • ENGL 1913: ENGL 1213. 
  • ENGL 3153: ENGL 1213. In addition, this course is only available for Juniors and Seniors.

Currently, we do not offer any test for recieving full credit for ENGL 1113 and 1213. For more information, please contact our office:

The Engaged Citizen: Writing and Speaking at the University of Oklahoma

ENGL 1113 and ENGL 1213 use our custom textbook The Engaged Citizen: Writing and Speaking at the University of Oklahoma. 

All sections of ENGL 1113 have been selected for an Inclusive Access program which provides less expensive digital course materials, easier purchase, and direct delivery through Canvas. All Inclusive Access digital course materials are provided to enrolled students by the first day of class through Canvas. The Inclusive Access materials are listed at, but no further action is needed to purchase them. The student’s OU Bursar account will be billed directly for these digital materials at a significant discount.

There are a variety of reasons you might have a prerequisite hold when trying to enroll. Start by making sure you have the prerequisite(s) listed in the course catalog. If you are still unable to determine why you have the hold, contact the FYC Office for more information at (405) 325-5927 or

There are a variety of reasons you might have a departmental/instructor permission hold when trying to enroll. Contact the FYC office for more information at (405) 325-5927 or

Students may change sections of ENGL 1113 and 1213 during the first week of the semester as long as the class they are changing to has seats available. ENGL 1113 and 1213 classes both have a hard cap at 19 students by the University, so students should make sure that the section they are switching to has seats available before withdrawing from their current section. The cap of 19 students is not flexible under any circumstances, regardless of the teacher’s willingness. 

After the first week of the semester has passed, students need to get the permission of the instructor of the section they are moving to before attempting the change. If permission is granted, the student will provide proof of the instructor’s permission to the FYC office, at which time the FYC staff will grant the change. 

After the second week of classes, section changes must go through the dean’s office of the student’s home college.

The building that houses the Department of English, Cate Center 2, has three computer-mediated classrooms equipped with Macs for each student. The only way to know during your course selection process which sections are held in CMCs is to check the classroom number and building. Our CMCs are in CC2, rooms 110, 116, and 136.

All online sections are labeled “WEB” on Banner.

First check with Admissions in Buchanan Hall to determine if the courses you hope to transfer meet standard equivalency. If your coursework isn’t automatically counted as equivalent by Admissions, have your adviser send a syllabus from the coursework in question with an explanation of what course you want credit for to for review. The FYC office will assess the syllabi and determine if the course may count as transfer equivalency for ENGL1113 or 1213 (depending on the student’s request) and report our decision to Admissions and to you.

The syllabus must include a description of the course and the major assignments, along with the grade breakdown of the course (how much each assignment is worth).

Email with the following: which course you took, the semester and year you took the course, and the name of the instructor or the section of the course. We will determine if the syllabus remains in our records. 

Academic Appeals at the University of Oklahoma and the Department of English follow a three-step process.

  1. The student must meet with her/his instructor in an effort to come to a resolution about the grade in question.
  2. If the student and instructor aren’t able to reach a resolution, the student may submit the essay(s) in question to the FYC Office, and FYC will review the essay according to the process stipulated below.
  3. If the student is unsatisfied with the grade review assessment performed by FYC, she or he may choose to appeal to the College of Arts and Sciences. CAS will review the grade(s) in question according to the process stipulated on their web site.

For more information, please visit the Academic Integrity homepage

In most cases, the best first step is to visit your instructor’s office hours and or make an appointment to speak with her/him. If speaking with your instructor does not resolve the issue to your satisfaction, we encourage you to come speak with the FYC staff.

In a suspected case of plagiarism, the instructor may charge the student with either an admonition or an academic misconduct charge. Any student who receives an admonition can contest it. To do so, the student must contact the Student Conduct Office within 15 regular class days after receiving the admonition. Any student who receives the charge can deny it through an appeals process. For more information on this process, please visit

Typically, a D is considered passing. However, some majors (like Engineering for example) require a C or higher to be considered passing.