Skip Navigation

Undergraduate FAQs

Skip Side Navigation

Undergraduate FAQs


Q: Can a HES minor, CAS Planned Program major, Multi-disciplinary Studies major, or other non-HES major take a HES core course?

A: If you are not majoring in HES (including students minoring in HES), then the department requires that you receive permission to enroll in any of the HES core courses (3513, 3563, 3813, 3823, 3853, 4503, 4573, 4833, and 4953). We also restrict non-major enrollment in core courses until one month after junior enrollment begins for each semester. At that time, if there is seat availability, you may email the HES instructor to inquire about permission. If you are granted permission, please forward the email to one of the HES advisors to enter the permissions in the system.

Q: How can I take HES 3813? I am a HES major, but the enrollment system says I don't meet the prerequisites.

A: Pre-HES students cannot take any of the HES core courses (3513, 3563, 3813, 3823, 3853, 4503, 4573, 4833, and 4953) until they have been admitted into the HES major. 

Q: Can I take HES 3213 to fulfill a HES upper-division elective?

A: No. In fact, pre-HES and HES majors should avoid any course that has "non-HES majors" in the course title unless they are using it to fulfill an upper-division free elective. Courses with "non-HES majors" in the title, like HES 3213, cannot be applied to the HES upper-division electives. HES minors CAN use courses that have "non-HES majors" in the title toward credit for the minor. 

Q: How do I know what classes are HES upper-division electives and how do I know if I can enroll in those courses?

A: HES upper-division electives have prerequisites, if you meet the prerequisites, then you may enroll. If you do not meet the prerequisites, then please contact the instructor for permission. If you are granted permission, please forward the email to one of the HES advisors to enter the permissions in the system. The HES upper-division electives are listed below. Please note that not every course on this list is offered every semester.

  • HES 3502 Care & Prevention of Athletic Injury
  • HES 3523 Human Sexuality I
  • HES 3543 Health and Wellness Coaching
  • HES 3553 Wellness in Native Communities
  • HES 3573 Obesity & Weight Management
  • HES 3583 Sociocultural Aspects of Health
  • HES 3843 Biomechanics
  • HES 3873 Principles of Personal Training
  • HES 3883 Principles of Endurance Training
  • HES 3980 Honors Research
  • HES 3990 Independent Study
  • HES 4430 HES Internship
  • HES 4513 Public Policy Impact on Health Promotion
  • HES 4523 Human Sexuality II
  • HES 4543 Comprehensive Stress Management
  • HES 4553 Measurement/Eval in Health Promotion
  • HES 4823 Sport and Exercise Nutrition
  • HES 4883 Advanced Strength & Conditioning
  • HES 4990 Independent Study

Q: How can I access information about university deadlines?

A: The OU Academic Calendar lists important deadlines that students should be aware of for the Fall and Spring semesters and the Summer Session.

Q: How can I get permission to enroll in a non-HES course?

A: Please contact the department offering the course (for example, if you are requesting permission to enroll in PSY 4453, contact the Department of Psychology).

Q: How can I identify upper-division humanities?

A: To identify upper-division humanities, go to ClassNav and do the following:

  • Select the semester from the "Semester" dropdown menu
  • Leave the subject as "All Subjects"
  • In the box that says, "GenEd Type," select "Artistic Forms, World Culture, and Western Culture"
  • The screen will populate with courses that are in those categories
  • You will want to select a course that is at the 3000 or 4000 level
    *World Culture replaced Non-Western Culture in the categorization of humanities. The courses are the same.

Q: How can I get into a full HES course?

A: HES uses the waitlist for all full courses. If a seat becomes available in a waitlisted course, then an email will be sent to the first student on the list. That student will have 24 hours to add the course. If that student does not add the course within 24 hours, then an email will be sent to the next student on the list, and so on. If you do not meet the course prerequisites, then you will not be able to add yourself to the waitlist. Additionally, students can be waitlisted for only one section of a course and cannot be enrolled in a section and waitlisted for another. 

Q: How do I enroll in a language course?

A: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish require a Statement of Background Waiver if you have had less than two years of instruction in the language noted (including ZERO years) or it has been more than 5 years since you took the language course. 

If it has been less than 5 years since you took a course in the language, then you will need to take the placement for that language. Please email for more information about scheduling the placement evaluation.

NOTE: Cherokee, Choctaw, Creek, and Kiowa do not require a placement evaluation to enroll. While American Sign Language also does not require a placement evaluation to enroll, there are special procedures related to enrollment in this course.

Q: How can I get permission to enroll in LSAL, LSCJ, LSCS, LSIS, LSLC, or LSTD courses? 

A: Students must complete the Non-Major Enrollment Form to request permission to enroll in a course with one of the subject codes listed above. Students should also note that many of these courses are 8 weeks in length and, therefore, have a one-week, free, drop period. Students may drop these courses any time prior to the course start date or any time before 5 p.m. Friday during the first week of the course.