Lecturer of Hebrew:
The Department of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics (MLLL) at the University of Oklahoma (OU) seeks a Hebrew language lecturer and coordinator for a five-year, renewable term contract. The successful candidate will also be a core faculty member of the Schusterman Center for Judaic and Israel Studies at OU. The OU Schusterman Center offers generous support for conference travel and special programs related to this position as well as funding for overseas studies opportunities in Israel for all qualified Hebrew language students.
The University of Oklahoma is a Carnegie-R1 comprehensive public research university known for excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement, serving the educational, cultural, economic, and healthcare needs of the state, region, and nation. OU enrolls more than 30,000 students and has more than 3000 full-time faculty members in 18 colleges. In Fall 2022, approximately 25% of OU’s freshmen were first-generation students, 39% belonged to a minority race/ethnicity, and over 8% were of Asian descent.
The University of Oklahoma is home to a 277-acre Research Campus in Norman that was named the top research campus in the nation by the Association of University Research Parks in 2013. Norman is a culturally rich and vibrant city located just outside Oklahoma City. With outstanding schools, amenities, and a low cost of living, Norman is a perennial contender on the “Best Places to Live” rankings. Please visit the provost’s website for more information.
- The contract is renewable with a start date of August 16, 2024.
- Candidates with a Ph.D. or M.A. in language pedagogy are preferred, but those with a Ph.D. or M.A. in a related field will be considered. Native or near-native fluency in both English and Hebrew and a proven record of excellence in teaching are essential.
- The candidate will be responsible for redesigning the Hebrew language program, teaching beginning, intermediate Hebrew, and content/cultural courses if needed. The teaching load is 22-26 credit hours per academic year. Salary is based upon terminal degree and teaching experience. The position includes full benefits, and research funding is available.
- Service to the Hebrew section and the department will be expected (attending monthly faculty meetings, helping with recruitment, organizing Hebrew section events, etc.).
Instructions for submitting an application:
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Please send an application in a single email, using “Hebrew Lecturer” in the subject line, to Dianna Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following:
1. A cover letter detailing how the candidate meets the minimum requirements above;
2. Curriculum vitae;
3. Evidence of successful teaching experience, including complete sets of teaching evaluations.
In addition, please have two letters of recommendation sent separately to Dianna Taylor at email@example.com with “Hebrew Recommendation” in the subject line.
Questions may be directed to Dr. Nian Liu, Chair of MLLL firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to: admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, or health care services that the University operates or provides.
This page is updated regularly and applications toward relevant positions are encouraged. Inquires may be addressed to email@example.com