Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Impact Fellowship
Native American Studies and the OU Native Nations Center recently received a generous grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to support the development of an undergraduate fellowship in Native American and Indigenous Studies. The fellowship will emphasize experiential learning, faculty mentorship, and transferable skills. Mellon Impact Fellows will take three required classes in Native American Studies, including an internship that will emphasize professionalization. Graduates of this program will be in a strong position to transition into careers or undertake further graduate or professional education.
- Fellowship program begins Fall 2021
- Twelve Mellon Fellows will be selected annually
- Fellows will serve two-year terms
- 2021-2023 fellowship application is open to current freshmen, sophomores, and juniors with an anticipated graduation date no earlier than May 2023.
- Fellows must be NAS majors or minors prior to the program start date
(NAS UG Advisor, Tyson Putthoff, can advise students needing to declare)
- Fellows will take two required classes (6 hours) in Indigenous leadership professional development
- Fellows will each receive a $5,000.00 stipend to help with the costs of a required internship in the last semester of their two-year term
(The internship satisfies the NAS 3013 Native American Studies Internship requirement for NAS majors. It does not satisfy any requirements toward the NAS minor but may satisfy the internship requirement for a student's major department)
- Priority deadline is May 7th.
- Priority deadline for letters of recommendation is May 14th.
You may be prompted to login to Microsoft Office 365 in order to complete this application. All current OU students, faculty and staff have access to the full suite of Microsoft Office 365 products at no cost. To logon, you will input your OU email and OUNet password (the same password that you use to logon to all OU SSO applications). Here are detailed instructions for logging in to Microsoft Office 365 - https://itsupport.ou.edu/TDClient/30/Unified/KB/ArticleDet?ID=249.
If you are not yet a current student at the University of Oklahoma, and you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please send an email to email@example.com to request an alternative application.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.