OU International Educational Travel Policies and Procedures
It is the policy of the University of Oklahoma that all OU-sponsored programs that require students to travel outside of the United States follow the International Educational Travel Guidelines (PDF). The guidelines, the emergency response protocol, and other forms mandated by the guidelines may be obtained from the links below:
- International Educational Travel Guidelines for All Student Programs Sponsored by the University of Oklahoma (PDF)
- Emergency Response Protocol (PDF) (This protocol is applicable for all OU approved student travel overseas.)
- Direct Administrative Action on Study Abroad (PDF)
- Faculty Dependents and Guests on Study Abroad Policy (PDF)
OU Study Abroad & Travel Registration
- International Travel Approval Form (PDF): Program leaders must submit this form for all OU-sponsored faculty-led programs led by colleges or departments outside of the College of International Studies or the College of Arts and Sciences and traveling outside of the United States to locations other than Arezzo, Italy or Puebla, Mexico. It must be approved by both the Dean of the sponsoring college and the Associate Provost for Global Engagement and remain on file in the Education Abroad office. Forms for all programs must be submitted here by October 1st.
- Student Registration After Education Abroad receives the International Travel Approval Form, we will contact the professor of record or college coordinator and students with instructions on how to apply through or register with the central study abroad database. It is a required element of international education at OU and the responsibility of the professor of record and/or the college coordinator to ensure that all students are registered and necessary components are completed by the deadline communicated from Education Abroad.
- International Health and Evacuation Insurance obtained through the Office of Education Abroad is required for all students and faculty/staff traveling abroad on OU-sponsored programs and international educational actvities.
- Study Abroad Support Fee Students applying for OU-sponsored study abroad programs or participating in OU-sponsored international experiences, will be charged a non-refundable $50 service fee, which will automatically be placed on the participating students' bursar bill, or it is included in the program fee. This fee is designed to cover the cost and upkeep of the application software and travel registration database.
- US Department of State Travel Warnings OU automatically suspends programming to countries under a US Department of State Travel Warning level 4 or 5. Level 3 programs are evaluated on a case by case basis. For information about how to petition the Safety and Security Council to conduct study abroad programming in level 3 countries, please click here.
- All OU students participating in OU-sponsored study abroad programs or international experiences - regardless of whether or not academic credit is earned - must register their travels and enroll in OU's study abroad insurance program by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
All questions or concerns regarding the above policies should be directed to the Director of Education Abroad.