The Bachelor of Arts/Master of Arts in International Studies is an accelerated program designed for exceptional students to earn both the BA and MA in International Studies in 5 years of study. National Merit Scholars are the ideal candidates for a 5-year accelerated BA/MA program, although the program is open to all OU students who qualify.
Applications are due by the spring of the sophomore year or fall of the junior year.
Application materials include:
- Application form
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose (1-2 pages)
- Official Transcript
- Students must have a minimum 3.5 overall GPA for admission
- Students are expected to apply to the BA/MA accelerated program no later than the first semester of their junior year, although application by the second semester of the sophomore year is preferred.
- February 15 for fall admission
- October 15 for spring admission
Send application materials to:
The Department of International and Area Studies
729 Elm Ave. Room 304
Norman, OK 73019
See checksheet for more rules, regulations and minimum requirements.
TOTAL HOURS: A minimum of 146 semester hours acceptable toward graduation must be completed.
DOUBLE MAJORS AND MINORS: Only in rare and exceptional cases are BA/MA students allowed to add a second undergraduate major with another department. One minor program, either within or outside IAS, is allowed. For exceptions to these rules, BA/MA students must petition the SIAS Director of Graduate Studies and the Graduate Studies Committee. If a BA/MA student is granted permission to add a second undergraduate major, it must be within a department in the College of Arts and Sciences. Entering a second undergraduate program in another College will require the completion of a dual-degree rather than a double major, and will require an additional 30 credit hours.
Sample course plan