Skip Navigation

English Proficiency Requirements

Skip Side Navigation

English for Undergraduate Level Courses

The University of Oklahoma requires that incoming exchange students demonstrate English language proficiency at a high-enough level to successfully participate in their coursework here on the Norman campus.

All applicants for whom English is a second language must present evidence of proficiency in English. If a student comes from an English-speaking university where courses are taught in English, this requirement can be waived.

Evidence of English proficiency may be demonstrated with a TOEFL (paper based or internet based) or IELTS score. ITP TOEFL scores will NOT be accepted. Incoming exchange students should meet or exceed the following minimum scores in order to enroll in undergraduate coursework:

TOEFL (paper based)
iBT TOEFL (Internet based)

Please note that some departments may restrict enrollment in undergraduate coursework for exchange students who have demonstrated English proficiency scores that are lower than the regular OU Admissions score of 79.  Please review the Academic Credit page for further details on what courses and programs of study are open to incoming exchange students at the University of Oklahoma.

English for Graduate Level Courses

Exchange students may not enroll in graduate level classes numbered 5000 or above unless they have met the English language proficiency requirements from the Graduate College and have obtained written permission from the course instructor via the Exchange Student Coordinator.

If enrolled in graduate-level courses, exchange students will receive undergraduate credit. They may not earn graduate credit for graduate-level courses, and they may not later apply these credits to a graduate degree at the University of Oklahoma.

Minimum scores for access to graduate-level coursework:

TOEFL (paper based)
iBT TOEFL (Internet based)

Students planning to take law classes must be a law student at their home institution and have a TOEFL (iBT) of 90 or higher.


Students who are coming to the University of Oklahoma with the primary intention of learning English are encouraged to contact the Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) for information about this program. It is not possible for incoming exchange students to obtain tuition and fee waivers to participate on CESL programs.