Mission, Objectives and Student Outcomes
To generate and disseminate durable knowledge within and around the rapidly evolving discipline of computer science by:
- Educating bachelors, masters, and doctoral degree candidates within our discipline.
- Contributing to the education of degree candidates in related fields, including mathematics, meteorology, computer engineering, industrial and systems engineering, and electrical engineering.
- Generating knowledge in theoretical and applied topics within and around our discipline and disseminating the results.
- Contributing to professional societies within and around our discipline.
- Producing graduates who are highly sought by industry, government and universities.
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates succeed in problem solving professions using computer science expertise.
- Graduates succeed in software careers.
- Graduates may pursue and complete advanced degrees in computer science or other fields.
- Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program’s discipline.
- Apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.