Institute for Biomedical Engineering, Science and Technology
The University of Oklahoma Institute for Biomedical Engineering, Science and Technology (IBEST) spans research and education activities in bioscience and biomedical engineering on the Norman and Oklahoma City campuses.
Faculty from the lead departments – School of Chemical, Biological and Materials Engineering, School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and School of Computer Science” – work with bioscientists and biomedical engineers from the OU Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation in Oklahoma City and OU College of Arts and Sciences in Norman.
The mission of the Institute for Biomedical Engineering, Science, and Technology (IBEST) is to catalyze and accelerate the development of research-based innovations that advance the effectiveness and efficiency of healthcare.
Basic Tenets of IBEST
In order to achieve the overarching goals in the IBEST’s vision and establish a productive and collegial environment for its members, the following fundamental tenants guide the operation and governance of IBEST.
- Multidisciplinary – to focus on the convergence of disease, technology, and sciences in medicine, and to advance multi-disciplinary solutions for all types of healthcare.
- Teamwork – to form a structured framework for cooperative research and educational activities at the interface of science, engineering, and medicine, and to promote creative activity in targeted areas via building clinical-engineering teams.
- Crossing campus – to promote collaboration among science, engineering, and medicine in OU community as well as its off-campus interface with industry, foundations, public/private research institutions and public healthcare sectors.
- Strategic Investment – to invest in problem-driven research activity toward the objective of translating creative ideas into clinical medicine and novel products that will transform patient care and improve the health and well-being.
- Visibility – to enhance the visibility of science and engineering contributions from OU community to healthcare advancements and to promote the reputation of the Institute nationally and internationally.
Apply for membership to IBEST