Adams Center History
Constructed as a residence hall in 1964, Adams Center was officially named in 1965 for K.S. “Boots” Adams, a former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Phillips Petroleum Company. Adams and the company made one of the first large private gifts to the university during the administration of President George Lynn Cross. Adams was a civic leader in Bartlesville and the state.
The center is made up of four residential towers: Tarman, Muldrow, McCasland and Johnson. These were named in honor of four prominent individuals who distinguished themselves as leaders in their own communities and among OU alumni.
Tarman Tower - is named for long time Norman resident Fred E. Tarman. From 1922 until his death in 1977, Tarman worked at the Norman Transcript newspaper where he served as the editor and publisher. He served as one of the three original trustees of the University of Oklahoma Foundation and played a large role on several university committees.
Johnson Tower - is named for the family of Neil Johnson, a pioneer resident of Norman, who was a founding member of the OU Dads’ Association, an organization that in 1994 merged with the OU Mother’s Association to form the Parents’ Association.
McCasland Tower - named after T. Howard McCasland, who distinguished himself as a student athlete and as a generous alumnus. As a student the University of Oklahoma, McCasland played football and basketball, while holding numerous leadership positions on campus. Following his service in World War I, McCasland became a key figure in several alumni organizations. He too was an original trustee of the University of Oklahoma Foundation, and in addition, served as President of the OU Dads’ Association, President of the Alumni Association, and he was a charter member of the Touchdown Club. In 1959 he received the Distinguished Service Citation from OU in recognition of his extraordinary efforts.
Muldrow Tower - named for Hal Muldrow, who served as a former state senator and a two-star General who commanded Oklahoma’s famed 45th Infantry Division, better known as the “Thunderbirds.” Muldrow, during his four years as an undergraduate, was involved in the ROTC program and lettered three times as a lineman for the Sooner football squad while gaining a position as a leader in the Student Council. Like Tarman, he also served as one of the University of Oklahoma Foundation’s original trustees. Muldrow helped to co-found the successful Agar-Ford-Jarmon & Muldrow Insurance Agency in Norman.