Professor Sabina Vaught
New Department Chair Joins ELPS
Sabina Vaught joined the Jeannine Rainbolt College of Education faculty in July of this year as chair of the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, where she also serves as a professor of educational studies. Vaught joins the college from Tufts University, where she served as acting chair of the Department of Education, director of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, and ombudsperson, among others. She was also co-chair of the Graduate Consortium in Women’s Studies at MIT.
An institutional ethnographer by training, Vaught’s research attends to race and gender dynamics of insurgency and counterinsurgency in state educational contexts. Her most recent book, Compulsory: Education and the Dispossession of Youth in a Prison School (University of Minnesota Press), is an ethnographic study of school Inside one state’s juvenile prison schooling system and its relation to a nexus of state and private power structures Outside.
Vaught earned her doctorate at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is a former high school English teacher, and has also taught incarcerated young men, incarcerated adult women, in-service public school teachers, and undergraduate and graduate students.
There are three degree-granting programs in the department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies. Each of the three programs offers the M.Ed. and Ph.D. degrees. In addition, the Ed.D. is offered by the Educational Administration, Curriculum and Supervision program. Each program has its own admissions process, course offerings, and faculty. Information about each program area can be obtained on the website or by contacting the JRCoE Graduate Programs Support office at jrcoe_gps.@ou.edu.
Adult and Higher Education
- Adult and Higher Education M.Ed.
- Adult and Higher Education Ph.D.
- College Teaching Certificate
Educational Administration, Curriculum and Supervision
- Educational Administration, Curriculum and Supervision M.Ed.
- Educational Administration, Curriculum and Supervision Ed.D.
- Educational Administration, Curriculum and Supervision Ph.D.
- Tulsa Campus - Educational
- Administration, Curriculum and Supervision, M.Ed.
- Tulsa Campus - Educational Administration, Curriculum and Supervision, Ed.D.
- Educational Studies M.Ed.
- Educational Studies, Ph.D.