Sooner Works Application Process
In order to be sure that the Sooner Works program at The University of Oklahoma is the best match for our applicants, we require an application packet be completed for each student. Upon entering, it is expected that students will demonstrate the following minimal requirements:
- Basic functional understanding of literacy (writing/composition) and reading skills
- Basic mathematics understanding and ability to use a calculator
- Ability to function independently for a sustained period of time
- No severe behavior or emotional problems
- Can handle and adapt to change; is not overly stressed when things change
- Potential to be successful in competitive employment situations
- Desire and motivation to complete a postsecondary program
- Be between the ages of 18-26 at the start of the program
Letters of recommendation from teachers are extremely important, too, as these describe current levels of performance across many areas.
Applicants will have typically received extensive special education services in their secondary schools, graduated or graduating high school with a diploma or certificate of completion, and would have considerable difficulty succeeding in a traditional college degree program.
This is a certificate program (not an accredited college degree program) and exiting students will receive a certificate of completion, NOT a degree from The University of Oklahoma.
Note: Because of space limitations, not all applicants who complete the application and meet the “criteria for admission” will be granted an interview and/or be selected for Sooner Works; however, these students are welcome to reapply. All materials submitted to Sooner Works will become the property of Sooner Works and will not be returned or duplicated for other purposes.
Sooner Works Application Dates
- Applications will be released Oct 15.
- Online application for Sooner Works due by Feb 1.
- On-line submission of Letter of Recommendations for Sooner Works due by Feb 1.
- Interview notifications by Feb 19.
- In-person interviews with potential participants and family/guardians on Mar 10-12.
- Selection of potential participants on Mar 15 (envelope mailed).
- University of Oklahoma acceptance of participants estimated by May 1.
Sooner Works Student & Family Informational Meetings
Learn more about Sooner Works programming at our Sooner Works Student and Family Informational Meetings. A Q&A session will also be provided at each session.
|Sunday, October 3, 2021||6:00 - 7:30 PM Central|
|Thursday, October 28, 2021||6:00 - 7:30 PM Central|
|Sunday, November 14, 2021||6:00 - 7:30 PM Central|
|Sunday, December 5, 2021||6:00 - 7:30 PM Central|
Sooner Works Application Links
Letters of Recommendation Link:
Sooner Works Program Costs
|Tuition + Fees (includes SW Fee)*||$15,000||$22,000|
|Housing + Meals||$12,600||$12,600|
*The cost of Sooner Works is comparable with a traditionally enrolled Freshmen at OU.
**These prices are averages of actual costs. The University of Oklahoma's academic tuition, housing and meal plan fees are subject to change annually.
Currently Sooner Works is a Comprehensive Transition Program (CTP), which allows students to apply for financial aid through FAFSA (it is each family's responsibility to complete the FAFSA application through studentaid.gov). Financial aid will vary and is based upon financial need and will not cover the complete cost of the program. In addition, students will only qualify for Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and Federal Work-Study (students will not qualify for student loans).