Skip Navigation

Professional Counseling

Skip Side Navigation

Resources for Professional Counseling M. Ed. students


For information on master’s level counselor licensure in Oklahoma visit Licensure requirements may vary from state to state, so if you plan to seek licensure in another state, check the Professional Licensing Board in that state for more information.


Funding Opportunities

Faculty consistently work very hard to develop relationships with programs and agencies across campus and throughout the community, cultivating potential GA positions for our masters students; however, faculty can neither guarantee nor coordinate funding for incoming students. In an era of decreasing resources in higher education, students interested in GA funding are encouraged to act independently and proactively in attempts to secure any available funding across campus and within the surrounding community. 

For funding and financial support for graduate students including: Scholarships and Travel/Research Grants, Graduate College Tuition Waivers, Fellowships, Graduate Assistantships available within the Graduate College, Funding for Graduate Student Research and Financial Aid links specific to Graduate students and the University of Oklahoma, please visit Note that all students appointed to graduate assistantships are required to obtain and read the current edition of the Graduate Assistant's Handbook available at

For part-time counseling related work for students across a breadth of settings (such as the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, University College, University Library, etc.), please visit

Additional Funding Sources

In addition to GA and university affiliated part-time work positions, our graduate students are eligible to apply for scholarships and grants (links below) to work on their research or to supplement their graduate school education. Scholarships are available on campus and our students are very competitive and successful at obtaining these scholarships. Federal support may also be available for their research and education, including monies from NIH and the Department of Education.

For information on financial aid and additional funding, please visit the Financial Aid Services website at

For Scholarship Resources at the University of Oklahoma, please visit

For Scholarship Resources at the Jeannine Rainbolt College of Education, please visit

For graduate student support for research and travel within the College of Education, please visit this page under Student Life and Resources:  Research and Travel Funds for Graduate Students

Professional Counseling Program/Degree Requirements:

Required Coursework for Master’s Students

EDPY 5473     Counseling Theories

EDPY 5423     Methods and Techniques of Counseling

EIPT 5203       Measurement and Evaluation in Education

EDPY 5910     Practicum (2 semesters)

EDPY 5433     Group Counseling

EDPY 5413     Occupational Information/Career Development

EDPY 5253     Personality Assessment

EDPY 5920     Internship (2 semesters)

EIPT 5033       Introduction to Educational Research Methods

EDPY 5483     Behavior Disorders

EDPY 5463     Multicultural Counseling

EDPY 6453     Family Counseling


EDPY 6463     Couples Counseling

EIPT 5113       Human Development Across the Lifespan