Department: Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
Program Area: Adult and Higher Education
Kirsten Hextrum is an Assistant Professor of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at the University of Oklahoma. Dr. Hextrum earned her Ph.D. in Education specializing in Cultural Studies from the University of California, Berkeley. Her professional career in college athlete academic support services and personal experience as a Division I athlete inform her research, teaching, and activism. Dr. Hextrum’s larger research agenda examines school-sports as social settings that can maintain and/or contest power systems. A variety of top-tier journals have published her research including Harvard Educational Review, Berkeley Review of Education, and a forthcoming article for Teachers College Record. Her work has also received public coverage in The Atlantic, the San Francisco Chronicle, Inside Higher Education, and in the documentary The Business of Amateurs.
• Critical studies of gender, race, and class
• Social and cultural contexts of sport and education
• Economics, policy, and reform of college sport
• Theoretical foundations and challenges for student athlete support services
• Theoretical foundations and methodologies of qualitative research