Gaylord Ambassadors Criteria
Gaylord Ambassadors applicants must have declared one of Gaylord College’s five majors as their major or otherwise signified their intent to pursue an education in the College as an undergraduate or graduate student. A minimum GPA of 3.25 is required. If the student's cumulative GPA falls below 3.25, they will be required to provide two letters of recommendation, and a letter explaining their current grade situation and their intent to raise it to the required minimum average. Candidates should demonstrate good communication skills and a breadth of knowledge of the University of Oklahoma and Gaylord College.
It is expected that the ambassadors will have an understanding of the Gaylord programs and will be able to share and explain them clearly. We expect the students to be comfortable talking to students, parents, faculty, alumni and administration. The students are to be strong academically, involved socially, yet have enough time and discipline to give the ambassadors the time it needs moving forward. We like the ambassadors to at least be involved in one other Gaylord program, but that is neither necessary nor a final deciding factor, but it usually helps inform them in many different parts of the program.
We want the ambassadors to demonstrate an ability to manage their time well as well as show a clear understanding in the importance of working with others.
We want clear leaders. People that take charge. People that are not shy and students that want to excel at the highest levels.
Responsibilities Upon Selection
Upon selection, each Ambassador agrees to participate in various activities on behalf of Gaylord College including, but not limited to:
- Acting as responsible representatives of the University of Oklahoma and Gaylord College at both on and off-campus events.
- Providing support for recruitment of prospective Gaylord College students to the University of Oklahoma.
- Assisting with special events and Gaylord College functions.
- Hosting various special guests and speakers in Gaylord Hall.
- Attending Ambassadors meetings as scheduled.
- Ambassadors are given the opportunity to meet and network with nationally known media professionals, alumni and donors who visit Gaylord Hall and the campus of the University of Oklahoma.
- Ambassadors also have the opportunity to build a close association with Gaylord College faculty and staff members.
- The Ambassadors program offers excellent experience in networking, public speaking skills and event coordination