Skip Navigation

Eligibility for Graduate School

Skip Side Navigation

Eligibility for Graduate Study

Master's and Doctoral Applicant Requirements

  • U.S. applicants - Applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or a school that is accredited by a national accreditation agency recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
  • Internationial applicants - Applicants must have received at least a bachelor's degree or equivalent from an institution accredited by the home country' s Ministry of Education to offer degrees.
  • Must complete The University of Oklahoma online application.
  • Must submit or upload a transcript from your last degree-granting institution with the graduate school application. Note: If you are admitted, you must submit official transcripts from all degree-granting institutions.

To mail your official transcript, send it to:

Graduate College Admissions
Robertson Hall, Room 213
731 Elm Avenue
Norman, OK 73019

For Permanent Residents Only: You must provide a copy of your Permanent Resident card. This document can be uploaded to your application

Degree Accreditation

Institutions of higher education should have some form of accreditation. Regional accreditation is the most prestigious form of accreditation in the U.S. There are multiple regional accreditation agencies currently recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the US Department of Education. All must meet the same rigorous set of standards. Approved regional accrediting agencies are: 

  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC CIHE)
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Higher Learning Commission (NCACS HLC)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS COC)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities (WASC ACSCU)

In addition, the Graduate College accepts accreditation of colleges or universities that are accredited by national accreditation agencies that are recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

OU accepts international credits/degrees from institutions recognized by the Ministry of Education or government-approved authority in the country where the degree was earned. For degrees to be accepted, the instiution must be approved to offer degrees (bachelor's degree equivalent or higher).