The language of instruction at OU is English. Adequate English language skills are essential to academic success. If English is not your first language, you will be required to demonstrate English language proficiency before admission by doing one of the following:
- Scoring 79 or higher on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT). Consistency across subsections will be examined. Generally, a minimum score of 20 is expected in each subsection (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing). Test scores expire after two years, so scores over two years old by the beginning of the term in which you wish to start are not accepted.
- Scoring 6.5 or higher on the IELTS. Consistency across subsections will be examined. Generally, a minimum score of 6.0 is expected in each subsection (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing). Test scores expire after two years, so scores over two years old by the beginning of the term in which you wish to start are not accepted.
- Attending at least two years and graduating from a high school in the United States or another country where English is the native language.
- Completing at least 24 credit hours at an accredited college or university in the United States or another country where English is the native language.
- Earning a bachelor’s degree (or higher) at an accredited university in the United States or another country where English is the native language.
- Successfully completing the OU Track intensive English language program at OU's Center for English as a Second Language (CESL).
Note that not all countries which have English as an official language are considered to be places where English is the native or first language. See the list of OU Approved Native English Speaking Countries to find out whether you will be required to demonstrate English proficiency.
TOEFL and IELTS Resources
The TOEFL and IELTS tests are the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education approved exams used to satisfy English proficiency.
The TOEFL website includes general information about the test, testing center locations and testing dates, as well as other helpful information.
- TOEFL iBT - The TOEFL iBT is standard TOEFL exam taken by students. It measures your ability to use and understand English at the university level.
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition test - The TOEFL iBT Home Edition test is a temporary testing solution instituted by ETS due to the testing center closures because of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information about availability, please visit the TOEFL website.
- Both the TOEFL iBT and the TOEFL iBT Home Edition are accepted by the University of Oklahoma.
- The University of Oklahoma does NOT currently accept the TOEFL Essentials Test.
- Free test preparation – The TOEFL® Program has developed free online course on edX and shares other free materials on its website.
The IELTS website also provides information about the test, sample questions, locations and dates for the upcoming tests.
- IELTS Academic - The IELTS Academic test is for people applying for higher education. It reflects some of the features of academic language and assesses whether you are ready to begin studying or training.
- IELTS Indicator - The IELTS Indicator test is temporary testing solution instituted by the British Council due to testing center closures because of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information about availability, please visit the IELTS website.
- Both the IELTS Academic and the IELTS Indicator are accepted by the University of Oklahoma.
- Sample test questions - The British Council provides test preparation in the form of sample test questions.
Programs with Higher Requirements
The above TOEFL and IELTS scores are the minimum requirements for admission to The University of Oklahoma. Some graduate programs have higher score requirements. The following programs require either a composite TOEFL iBT score of 100 or composite IELTS score of 7.0.
- Biomedical Engineering
- Business Administration
- Engineering Physics
- Management Information Technology
- Political Science
- Professional Master of Arts with a Specialization in TESOL
- Public Administration
Sending your score
Send your official TOEFL scores to The University of Oklahoma by going to the TOEFL website and following the instructions for score reporting. The institution code for OU is 6879.
Send your official IELTS scores by following the instructions on the IELTS website. OU accepts paper Test Report Forms.