OU Residency Requirements
All freshman students must live in freshman-designated University housing for two semesters. Freshman students who meet one of the eligible exceptions may apply to the University Housing Review Committee (the “UHRC”) for an exemption.
The UHRC, appointed by the University President, is established to improve student outcomes and retention by assisting students in acquiring on-campus housing. The UHRC is charged with reviewing applications, pursuing resolutions, allocating Residential Scholarships / resources, granting exemptions, and evaluating and determining other contract-related issues.
In order to request exemption from the freshman housing policy, at least one of the eligible exceptions listed below must be met by the first day of the month when classes begin. The University President is authorized to develop additional procedures and requirements as necessary to implement the purpose of this policy.
1. Students who are 21 years old or older.
2. Students who are married or have children.
3. Students who have at least 24 hours of college credit from an accredited institution (concurrent, advanced placement or CLEP hours do not apply to this 24-hour requirement).
4. Students who lived in University residence halls for two semesters.
5. Students who lived in Cleveland or McClain counties during their senior year of high school and will continue living with their parent(s) or guardian(s) in these counties during their first year at the University of Oklahoma.
6. Students with a verifiable financial, medical, or exceptional need that cannot be otherwise adequately addressed as determined by the UHRC.
The above policy is applicable starting fall 2019. All freshman students must either complete the freshman housing contract or receive approval for exemption from the freshman housing policy. If applying for exemption, we strongly recommend a student also complete the housing contract in order to have housing preferences submitted in case the exemption application is not approved. Both the contract and the exemption application form can be accessed at link.ou.edu/myhousingandfood. Failure to complete a freshman housing contract or be approved for an exemption will result in financial penalties.
Transfer students are encouraged to contact the Housing office about exemption eligibility.
Violations by students who meet Regents’ exemption criteria: $2,700 financial fine, and students are required to submit the necessary exemption documents.
Violations by students who do not meet Regents’ exemption criteria: $5,500 financial fine, and students are required to complete the housing contract (or exemption request process if applicable) for the following academic semester, or incur another $5,500 financial fine for violation of the academic year.
Questions regarding the Regents’ policy and the application for exemption from the freshman housing policy should be directed to 405-325-2511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.