Do you have a link to contribute?
Please use this online form to submit
Back to Syria Page
Back to Syria Page
- Joshua Landis & Joe Pace , “The Syrian Opposition,” The Washington Quarterly , Vol. 30, pp. 45-68.
- Joshua M. Landis, "Islamic Education in Syria: Undoing Secularism," in Eleanor Doumato and Gregory Starrett, Eds., Teaching Islam: Textbooks and Religion in the Middle East, London & Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2007, pp. 177-196. Also Translated into Arabic by The Tharwa Project, a Syrian-based think-tank.
- ---- "Syria and the 1948 War in Palestine." A shorter version of this article was published as “Syria in the 1948 Palestine War: Fighting King Abdullah’s Greater Syria Plan,” in Eugene Rogan and Avi Shlaim, eds., Rewriting the Palestine War: 1948 and the History of the Arab-Israeli Conflict, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001, pp. 178-205. (Translated into French and Arabic)
- ---- "Shishakli
and the Druzes: Integration and Intransigence," in The
Syrian Land: Processes of Integration and Fragmentation. Stuttgart:
Franz Steiner Verlag, 1998: 369-396.
- ---- "The
United States and Reform in Syria," The Syria Report, Issue N°18 / May 2004, pp. 4-6.
- ---- "Early
U.S. Policy toward Palestinian Refugees: the Syria Option,"
in The Palestinian Regugees: Old Problems - New Solutions,
Eds. Joseph Ginat and Edward J. Perkins, University of Oklahoma Press:
Norman OK, 2001, pp. 77-87.
- Ariel I. Ahram, "Iraq
and Syria: The Dilemma of Dynasty," Middle East Quarterly,
SPRING 2002 • VOLUME IX: NUMBER 2.
- Max Abrahms, "When
Rogues Defy Reason: Bashar's Syria Preempt or deter? That is the question,"
Middle East Quartlerly, FALL 2003 • VOLUME X: NUMBER 4
- Dawn Chatty, "The Bedouin in Contemporary Syria:
The Persistence of Tribal Authority and Control," MIDDLE EAST JOURNAL M Volume 64, No. 1, WINTER 2010
- Malcolm H. Kerr, "Hafiz Asad and the Changing Patterns of Syrian Politics," International Journal, Vol. 28, No. 4, The Arab States and Israel (Autumn, 1973), pp. 689-706
- Eyal Zisser, "Syria
and the United States: Bad Habits Die Hard," Middle East
Quarterly - Summer 2003.
- Eyal Zisser, "Does
Bashar al-Assad Rule Syria?" Middle East Quarterly
- Winter 2003.
- Eyal Zisser, "Bashar al-Asad and his Regime - Between Continuity and Change," Orient, Vol. 45, No. 2 (June 2004), pp. 239-256.
- Ray J. Mouawad, "Syria
and Iraq – Repression," Middle East Quarterly
- Winter 2001.
Alawis and Shi'ism," in Shi'ism, Resistance, and Revolution,
ed. Martin Kramer (Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1987), pp. 237-54.
- Martin Kramer, "The
Oracle of Hizbullah: Sayyid Muhammad Husayn Fadlallah," in
Spokesmen for the Despised: Fundamentalist Leaders of the Middle East,
ed. R. Scott Appleby (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1997), pp.
- Allen Williams, Gypsies
of Syria: A DRC
Update 2001 (Vol 1 No.4).
from “Cold War and Covert Action: The U.S. and Syria,1945-1958,”
Middle East Journal,Winter 1990.
- The Center for Monitoring
the Impact of Peace, “Jews,
Zionism and Israel in Syrian Textbooks,” 2002.
- Martha Neff Kessler, "Syria,
Israel and the Middle East Peace Process: Past Success and Final Challenges,"
Policy Journal, Volume VII, February 2000, Number 2.
- David W. Lesch, "Is
Syria Ready for Peace? Obstacles to Integration into the Global Economy,"
Middle East Policy, Volume VI, Number 3, February 1999.
- Martha Kessler, Helena Cobban, Hisham Melhem, "What
About Syria?" Middle East Policy, Volume VII, October 1999,
- Clayton Swisher, The Truth About Camp David: the Untold Story about the Collapse of the Peace Process, Nation Books: Yew York, 2004, pp. 61-130 only.
- Andrew Tabler, "Democracy to the Rescue," Institute of Current World Affairs, AJT-1- Middle East, March 2006.
- Oliver Scharbrodt, "The Salafiyya and Sufism: Muhammad Abduh and his Risa¯lat al-Wa¯rida¯t (Treatise on Mystical Inspirations)," Bulletin of SOAS, 70, 1 (2007), 89–115.
- Itzchak Weismann, "The Politics of Popular Religion: Sufis, Salafis, and Muslim Brothers in Twentieth-Century Hamah," International Journal of Middle East Studies, vol. 37, 1 (2005).
- Itzchak Weismann, "Sufi Brotherhoods in Syria and Israel – A Contemporary Overview,"
- Itzchak Weismann, “Sa‘id Hawwa: The Making of a Radical Muslim Thinker in Modern Syria,” Middle Eastern Studies 29 (1993), 607-611.
- Itzchak Weismann, “Sa‘id Hawwa and Islamic Revivalism in Ba‘thist Syria,” Studia Islamica 85 (1997), 131-154.
- Andreas Christmann, "Islamic scholar and religious leader: A portrait of Shaykh Muhammad Sa'id Ramadan al-Buti," Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations, Volume 9, Issue 2 July 1998 , pages 149 - 169.
- Paul Heck, “Muhammad al- Habash and Inter-religious Dialogue,” Forthcoming.
- Paul Heck, "Religion and the Authoritarian State:
The Case of Syria," Democracy & Society | Volume 3 • Issue 1 | Fall 2005. p.4-
- Samuel Pickering Jr., "Pedagogica Deserta: Memoir of a Fulbright Year in Syria," The American Scholar, 2001.
- Matthieu Cimino, "Will the “Green Peace” in the Middle East be cultivated in the Shebaa Farms?" Syria Comment, May 2010.