IT Services for Research
OUIT has a variety of services that can be used by researchers to perform academic research.
Campus-licensed Software Catalog
Click here for a list of all the campus-licensed software accessible to faculty, staff and students at OU. Each software specifies how it can be used, where it can be installed, and who can use it.
Dashboards & Data Visualization (Power BI)
Prower BI (Free Edition) is part of Office 365 and is available for free to all active faculty, staff and students at OU. It allows users to easily and quickly create interactive visualizations, dashboards and reports.
- To access Power BI, go to https://powerbi.microsoft.com and log in with your OU email address and OU password.
- Learn how to use Power BI by visiting Microsoft's Learn Power BI section - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/
Messaging & Collaboration (Skype for Business)
Skype for Business is part of Office 365 and is available for free to all active faculty, staff and students at OU. It has the following features:
- Start conversations with IM, voice, or video calls.
- See when your contacts are available online, in a meeting, or presenting
- Set industrial-strength security for meetings
- Broadcast online to a large audience
- Present your screen during meetings or give control to others
- Use Skype for Business in other Office programs to chat, call, or join a meeting with a click.
Resources & Help Articles for using Skype for Business:
Multimedia Content Delivery & Distribution (MyMedia)
MyMedia provides faculty and staff the ability to create, upload, and distribute multimedia content through mobile, online, and offline environments.
Online Learning Resource (LinkedIn Learning)
LinkedIn Learning offers self-guided and self-paced video courses taught by industry experts from a broad range of fields, including - software, creative, and business. This service available for free to OU faculty, staff and students.
OU IT's Security team has subject matter experts who can assist in a variety of ways to help ensure your research environment is secure and meets any compliance requirements. Some of the services they provide include:
- Endpoint Monitoring: Monitoring network activity, encryption, OS updates, etc., for devices that require special attention
- Vulnerability Scanning: Thorough assessment of the infrastructure to safeguard from a variety of vulnerabilities
- Consultation: Discuss your specific circumstances and needs, and provide you with best practices and action plans.
To set up a free consultation (or for more information), please contact the Security team here.
Survey Tool (Qualtrics)
Qualtrics is used within academic institutions for consumer research surveys, institutional research surveys, event registrations, assessments, experimental design projects, test and quizzes. The product has more than 100 question types and branching even for open-ended question types. Best of all Qualtrics is centrally funded, so there’s no cost to you. This service can be accessed at http://survey.ou.edu.
NOTE: Please be sure to get IRB approval for your research survey.
Virtual Server Hosting for Research (OURcloud)
The OU Research Cloud ("OURcloud") allows research teams to create new virtual servers without having to acquire, deploy and manage physical resources themselves, not only simplifying the process of expanding computing resources but also professionalizing resource management. Click here to learn more about OURcloud
Zoom is a cloud-based platform for video and audio conferencing, collaboration, chat, and webinars across mobile devices, desktops, telephones, and room systems. More information here.
NOTE: Zoom, being cloud-based, may not be appropriate for certain kinds of research-related meetings & activities, especially if your research project has compliance clauses or restrictions on how to handle data.
University Audio/Video Technology
When an on-premise audio and video conferencing solution is needed, OUIT's Learning Spaces team can help design a conferencing solution to meet your needs. More information about this service can be found here.