Skip Navigation

Missing Student Notification

Skip Side Navigation

Missing Student Notification


Students living in University Housing will be asked to designate a confidential contact person whom the university should contact if the university declares the student missing.


The student will designate this person by accessing his or her OU - IT Emergency Contact information site.


A person may be suspected of being missing if their Resident Adviser on two consecutive weekly occupancy reports cannot contact the student. In this case, the Resident Adviser will contact the Center Coordinator, who will take steps to determine if the student has used university services (meals, door access, labs, etc.) during the last week and will attempt to contact the missing student through the e-mail address and cell phone number on record.


To report a suspected missing student who lives in University Housing, contact the Housing Office or OUPD. If the university cannot contact the student or verify that the student is using campus services, Housing and Food Services will classify the student as missing and immediately do the following:


  • Submit an official missing person’s report to OUPD.


  •  Upon official notification from Housing and Food Services, OUPD will conduct an investigation and if they determine the student has been missing for more than 24 hours, the following steps will be taken:


o    OUPD will contact the designated confidential emergency contact person. If the student is under 18 years of age, OUPD will immediately contact the custodial parent or legal guardian of the student.


o    Housing and Food Services will contact the office of Vice President for Student Affairs.