Sports Business Major
In 2009 ESPN said when “you look at the big picture of college football since 1936, no program has achieved greatness as consistently as Oklahoma.” Now you have the opportunity to study sports management while learning from faculty who are directly a part of this incredible sports tradition. Our program combines courses from faculty with extensive experience, exposure to hands-on projects, plus internship opportunities with all types of sports organizations.
5 Reasons why You Should Consider the Sports Business Major
- Sport businesses generate over $450 billion in revenue and employ over 1.7 million people with 10,000 new jobs created each year
- The sport management program has strategic relationships with OU Athletics, Oklahoma City Thunder and the OKC Dodgers
- Many of the sport business courses are taught by industry leaders and executives coming from firms like Fanatics, the OKC Thunder, and OU Athletics
- The program is one of only a few in the country that is housed within an elite, nationally ranked business school
- Internship/work relationships with: X Games, PGA, OKC Dodgers, OKC Thunder, Learfield, OU Athletics
To learn more contact Sean Daly: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recent Placements for Sports Business Majors
- Account Executive for the Oklahoma City Energy FC Professional Soccer Club
- Video Coordinator at Dartmouth University Football
- Account Executive IMG Learfield College at OU Tickets
- Corporate Sponsorship Activation Coordinator at Dallas Mavericks
- Collegiate Marketing Retail and Licensing Specialist at Top of the World
- Inside Sales Representative at the Oklahoma City Thunder
It should be noted that students completing the Intercollegiate Sports track are strongly encouraged upon graduation to apply for admission into the Intercollegiate Athletics Administration Masters degree program in the OU Higher Education Department. For more information visit the IAA program's webpage.
The program consists of a core course in Sports Management, three courses taken from a list of approved electives included “Licensing and Intellectual Property in Sports,” “Sports Logistics,” “Sports Marketing Management,” “Economics of Sports” plus “Sports Management Practicum.” Students in data analytics track have a separate list of approved statistics or business data analysis courses. Students complete the program with two additional courses one of which is a management skills elective and one is from a broader list of “free” electives including “Facilities Management,” “Sport Psychology” plus “Ethical Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics.” Students are also required to complete an internship for credit.
- Sports Business Major
Degree Checksheet (pdf)
- Minor in Sports Business for Price College Students
Minor Sheet for Price Students (pdf)
- Minor in Sports Business for non-Price College Students
Minor Sheet for non-Price Students (pdf)
- Approved Courses
List of Approved Courses (pdf)
To apply for the minor in Sports Management for non-Business students, please submit the application found at the link below:
To apply for Sports Business internship for credit, please visit the application found at the link below:
Sports Business Association
The purpose of the Sports Business Association is to enhance leadership skills while providing opportunities to gain experience and strengthen one's personal network with exposure in the sports industry.
For more information visit: