The Student Government Association (SGA) is responsible for allocating over $600,000 of the student activity fee each year to Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) at OU. The following information is intended to serve as a guide to the types of funding available for organizations, how funding is allocated, what is considered appropriate and inappropriate uses of funds, how to use SGA funds, etc.
SGA Funding and Financial Contacts
How to apply for and use SGA funding for RSOs
Register as a student organization via ENGAGE
You must be a registered student organization (RSO) at the University of Oklahoma in order to apply for SGA funds.
Each RSO needs to be registered for one calendar year prior to the Primary Budget deadline ... which is the Friday of the sixth week of classes in the Spring semester.
You are welcome to read the section on Finance in the Code Annotated (SGACA) to find out more about both: Primary and Auxilary funds for RSOs.
"The Auxilary Budget Process shall be held during the entirety of the fiscal year" - SGACA - Title X - Finance - page 126
*** You need to be a RSO for at least a week before creating a request for Auxilary funds. ***
Create a SGA budget request
1. Go to the Finance section of the RSOs page in ENGAGE.
2. Click on Create Request.
3. Click on Create Budget Request
4. If you currently have funds in your SGA account, please make sure to click on the OrgSync Request Archive button and download the 2020-2021 SGA Primary Funding budget application that was approved by the SGA. RSOs can only spend funds on items that were approved.
*** Please read the Appropriate Use of Funds guidelines so you can make good choices and be approved ...
If you want to know more, this piece of legislation is referenced in the guidelines. ***
- Things change! You might have to try to use your RSO's funds towards other items ... Make a request to reallocate approved funds.
Budget approval process
After a SGA budget application is submitted, here are the steps that follow:
1. All applications are seen and evaluated by the SGA Budgetary Committee. This committee is composed of members of the Undergraduate Student Congress (Congress) and Graduate Student Senate (GSS).
2. After each application is evaluated, SGA funding legislation is created and sent to a weekly Congress meeting and also a separate, biweekly GSS meeting for their consideration.
3. Once approved, the legislation is sent to the SGA President for signature approval.
4. After the funding is approved by SGA, the funds are allocated to the Accounts section of the group’s ENGAGE page.
- Please note that the full funding process (steps 1-4 above) can take 3-5 weeks.
Spending your SGA funds
*The deadline to submit purchase requests was December 11th, 2020 but please have patience if that wasn't possible for you ... any of these requests made after that deadline will have to be processed after January 4th, 2021.
To spend the funds that your RSO has been awarded by SGA, please do the following:
1. Go to the Finance section of the RSOs page in ENGAGE
2. Click on Create Request.
3. Click on Create Purchase Request: Purchase requests are defined as requests to withdraw funds from your SGA account. They can be the following:
- Departmental Transfer – This is payment for an OU department such as the Union, Printing Services, Facilities Management, or other campus departments. This option should also be used if you are wanting to transfer funds to another on-campus organization account for incurring expenses on the organization’s behalf.
- Vendor Direct Payment – This is a payment directly to an outside vendor. A direct payment can be paid with an invoice provided by the vendor. In addition, we can utilize university department purchase cards in order to procure items. Please note that some items may not be allowable with university department purchase cards but our office can work with you in finding the best path to making the purchase.
- Purchase Order (PO) – This option allows you to pick up your item(s) without the vendor needing an immediate payment. First, check with the vendor and make sure that they accept OU Purchase Orders. If so, submit your purchase request through ENGAGE and, after it has been approved, you will receive a PO document which you can use to pick up your items. Give the PO to the vendor and return the final receipt/invoice to Curt Swanson at email@example.com in order to process payment to the vendor. YOU MUST CHECK WITH THE VENDOR TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY ACCEPT PURCHASE ORDERS, PRIOR TO MAKING THE REQUEST.
Important: Personal reimbursements are not allowed by the University. Please do not spend your personal funds on behalf an organization. You must use one of the three purchase request types, mentioned above, in order for our office to process your request.