Programs and Services
OU Upward Bound offers free academic support services and events to promising students from Northwest Classen and U.S. Grant High Schools, as well as transfers from other TRIO programs.
Academic Year Program
The Academic Year Program provides in-school advising, academic support, and community service events during the school year.
During the academic year OU Upward Bound provides:
- Saturday Session workshops focusing on financial awareness, career exploration, and college exam preparation
- Monthly academic advising visits from OU Upward Bound academic professionals
- College tours visiting Oklahoma colleges
- Community service events
- ACT test preparation support
- College application, financial aid, and admissions support during the student's senior year
Summer Academic Institute
The Summer Academic Institute is held on the OU Norman campus in June and July for a total of six weeks. Students stay on campus from Sunday evenings to Thursday afternoons allowing students to spend Thursday evening through Sunday afternoon at home. Students are provided residence hall rooms during their stay on campus through a generous donation from Housing and Food Services.
Each week, the Summer Academic Institute provides:
- Five hours of academic courses (English, math, science, college/ACT preparation, and a foreign language) held in the College of Education, Richards Hall, Nielsen Hall and Stephenson Research Center labs
- Two hours of sports and recreation (swimming, soccer, basketball and others) facilitated by Fitness and Recreation staff
- Two to three hours of inspirational speakers or enriching workshops
- Three meals a day either in the Couch Center cafeteria or catered by Housing and Food Services
- Sunday evening team-building events such as roller skating or river rafting
Students who participate in the entire summer program and maintain exemplary behavior are eligible for an out-of-state summer college tour lasting a maximum of six days after the camp ends. OUUB Staff can determine who and who may not participate in the trip.