As we enter Phase III of our Norman campus Return Plan, we are now able to determine our ability to provide guidance for staff requests, beyond ADA accommodations, for flexibility in work arrangements for the fall semester.
Beginning Monday, August 3, 2020, the Norman campus Phase III return plan will begin. As the nature of COVID‐19 remains dynamic, this Plan will remain dynamic. This Plan applies to all Norman faculty, staff, student employees, students, contractors, and invited visitors who will be on campus on or after August 3, 2020.
1. Staff make a written request via email to the departmental leadership requesting flexibility in their work arrangement. All such requests should indicate whether the request involves:
A. A material increased risk for severe illness as defined by the CDC due to COVID-19 of the individual staff member. Any staff making this request must also make a request through the ADA process in HR if they have not already done so.
B. An increased risk for severe illness as defined by the CDC due to COVID-19 of a member of the staff member’s household or someone for whom they provide primary care.
Staff members do not need to provide additional health or personal information to the department when making their request.
2. The department chair or respective vice president and the departmental business leader will work together to review and decide if the request can be granted while still meeting the staffing needs for the Fall 2020 semester.
NOTE: Remote working arrangements (teleworking) will still be broadly encouraged, where practical and approved by staff member’s supervisor, throughout the fall 2020 semester. Flexibility will be provided where possible, including through options such as alternative scheduling, for staff who cannot work remotely and must perform the essential functions of their job onsite.
3. In the event that the number of requests for flexibility exceed the department’s ability to respond to the request through remote work arrangements or alternative scheduling while still meeting the parameters above, departments should prioritize requests as follows:
A. The request involves a material increased risk for severe illness as defined by the CDC due to Covid-19 of the individual staff member,
B. The request involves an increased risk for severe illness as defined by the CDC due to Covid-19 of a member of the staff member’s household or someone for whom they provide primary care.
4. Department chairs should send their recommendations for adjusting work arrangements to the appropriate vice president or dean’s office for review and approval. Recommendations will be sent to Human Resources for final approval.
5. Staff members may appeal decisions related to the above work arrangements to a panel comprised of a representative from the Office of the Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, a representative from Human Resources, and a representative from the Staff Senate.
6. To the extent a request for flexibility is not granted through the above process, staff requests for use of PTO and/or administrative leave without pay through December 31, 2020, will be considered.