Skip Navigation

Master of Occupational Therapy

college of allied health ou-tulsa campus website wordmark
Skip Side Navigation

Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Occupational therapy helps people of all ages have the highest quality of life possible by changing the setting or task to fit the individual. Registered occupational therapists work with people who may be recovering from illnesses or injuries, contending with developmental disabilities, emotional or sensory issues, or coping with changes resulting from the aging process.

Registered occupational therapists (OTR) provide training in the use of adaptive equipment such as wheelchairs, orthotics, prosthetics and aids for eating and dressing. They may also design specialized equipment to be used at home or work. An OTR may work with children with emotional, sensory or developmental issues by utilizing different modes of play therapy to help them learn while having fun.

To become a registered occupational therapist (OTR), a person must graduate from an accredited school of occupational therapy, and successfully pass the national certification examination administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy. Many states including Oklahoma, also require a license to practice occupational therapy.

For further information about the profession of occupational therapy, contact the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) at (

For more information about the Master of Occupational Therapy (M.O.T.), click here.

For more information or to visit the OUHSC Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, click here.